Breakthrough (Part 4) Vergil

Start from the beginning

    Regardless of how undeserving he was, Vergil had been entrusted with a gift, and he intended to do his best to utilize it. The past month had been dedicated to rigorous physical training to hone Vergil into an instrument for the betterment of society. Images of people in capes, tights or super suits drifted through his mind. Heroes. Vergil knew better. He was no hero, but he would do his best.

    Vergil and a reluctant Albert had put Vergil through a series of rigorous tests to ascertain the limits of his "powers."  A fist-sized, purple bruise on his lower back proved that he might be bulletproof, but Vergil wasn't in a rush to try that one out again. When Vergil hadn't reached his energy maximum, any attempt to break his skin or do lasting harm was fruitless, but once he reached carrying capacity, all bets were off. At full power, he could jump five stories and punch through cars and brick walls. The most interesting discovery came from research in a physics textbook. It stated that "that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." In theory, walls and cars were hitting him back just as hard, so it stood to reason that Vergil's bones and muscles had been reinforced as well.

    None of that did a lick of good, if he didn't have any crime to stop. Despite his newfound abilities, Cade Jahns had still been killed on Vergil's watch, and he wasn't going to fail again. So there he stood, Vergil Wilson, in matching purple hoodie, stocking cap pulled over his face, and gloves, ready to protect Lancet Falls.

No matter how many cold nights it takes.

    Despite Albert's protests to the contrary, Vergil thought Albert and him were more alike than the dog cared to admit. The schnauzer never went into too much detail, but Vergil gathered that he felt like a powerless bystander watching the Master and the Little Master muddle through life's struggles. Vergil and his crusade were a worthy pursuit for the dog to sink his teeth into, and the dog would accompany Vergil through all the freezing nights it took.

    The pair passed the time arguing about their favorite movies. Apparently, the Master had been a bit of a film buff as well, so Vergil and Albert never ran out movies to disagree about. In the back of his mind, Vergil still longed for a drink. He always longed for a drink. He imagined the sweet nectar traveling down his throat and permeating his entire body, its sweet embrace making him forget the chill and the soreness in his muscles. Shivering sure takes a lot of energy. Some vigilante I am. Sitting here and getting sore from the cold. Hey, at least I'm sober.

    Discussing the merits of Stanley Kubrick's, The Shining, a brilliant violet light infused the night sky. From its distant vantage, Vergil could still feel its radiance resonate with the energy that suffused his being. In the back of his mind, Vergil knew that the vibrant effervescence was not of this world, not human. That scared Vergil, not because of its strangeness, but because of its familiarity. A part of him felt one with it, a part that he knew wasn't of this world anymore. Does that make me something more or something less?

    "Vergil, I've got the strangest feeling. I feel... in between."

    "It's that light."

    "Yes, I do believe it is."

    "We need to go there."

    "I have no earthly idea why we would do something like that."

    "If we don't, no one else will."

    Albert sighed and crawled into Vergil's backpack. Diverting a trickle of energy into his legs, Vergil started hopping between the rooftops towards the drive-in. As he got closer, the mental picture of a moth incinerating itself in a bug zapper crossed his mind. At least it would be quick.