Chapter 7

* Kristen's Point of View *

I walked into the fancy hotel room turning on the lights, which suddenly filled the dark room with light. I immediately got out of the red sparkly dress and into my comfortable pajamas. I washed my face clean and was ready for bed. I turned out the lights and layed in the unfamiliar bed, longing for mine.

Since my job had rocketed I had moved to New York City because that's where I was promoted. I lived in Manhatten in an apartment and I loved it.

I tossed and turned, but couldn't find a comfortable position.

My mind was elsewhere, it was remembering what Harry had said, "Well what about your parents! They love you! And that's love."

That would be amazing if that were true.

* Flashback *

I woke up in a wonderful mood. I'm not a morning person usually, but I had a good reason to be happy today. It was my 12th birthday.

Something about being 12 was so amazing to me. I was a preteen now, just one more year and I was a teenager! Also, my parents had promised me that I would get a cell phone on my 12th birthday. Finally.

Every birthday morning of mine, my mom and dad would wake me up and serve me breakfast in bed. But they hadn't today, and I wasn't sure why.

I put my slippers and and walked down the steps, "Morning!" I yelled.

No response.

I walked into the living room hoping to find my dad there, but it was vacant. I moved to the dining room, that was empty too. I looked through out the whole house, but I couldn't find anyone?

I finally walked into the kitchen, not understanding the situation. I noticed a white note sheet on the spotless counter top. I walked over and picked up the paper which read:

"We went to grandmas and grandpas today!

- Mom and Dad"

I cried. They forgot it was my birthday.

For the rest of the day I watched TV, waiting for them to get home so that I could confront them.

But they never came back.

After 3 days of their absence, I called my grandparents asking them how much longer Mom and Dad were going to be there for. All they said back was, "They were never here."

That same day my grandparents drove over and tried to handle the situation. They had made so many phone calls, but they wouldn't tell me anything.

At that point, I had packed everything up and went on to live with my grandparents.

Every night I would cry, looking out the window, wishing for them to come back. But they never did.

When I was a senior in high school, I was determined to find my parents.

During my spring break, I set out on an expedition with my grandma and my best friend, Jazzy.

My parents had always talked about living in San Diego, CA. So that's where we made our first stop.

After a the investigating my grandma went through, we finally found them, but I wanted to be the one to face them.

I walked up the cobblestone pathway that led to the wooden front doors of the cute Tudor home.

I stood in front of the door and rang the door bell, I was so anxious.

The door opened and I saw my mother in front of me with a shocked face.

"Mom," I sighed happily and smiled. She didn't reply, she only kept the same shocked expression.

"Who is it?" someone said in the background, and then my dad appeared behind my mom.

I had a massive grin on my face. "I wanted to invite you to my graduation."

"Daddy who's there!!?!?" a small unfamiliar voice called.

A little girl ran out and was suddenly holding onto my moms leg.

I looked at the girl, who resembled my parents so much.

My parents left me do they could start all over. I wasn't good enough. They never loved me.

I threw down my graduation announcement on the front porch and stormed out and into the waiting car.

My parents never said anything. All they did was close the front door once I left, not even caring that their 18 year old daughter that they had once abandoned, was in front of them after years of not seeing them.

My parents didn't love me. I wasn't good enough.

Since then, I refuse to believe in love.

* Present Time *

I sighed as a tear rolled down my cheek. Letting sleep take over me.