Chapter one

"So here's to new beginnings and here's to breaking free // Let's chase a new horizon, chase who we're meant to be" - Luminate, New Beginnings.

Troye Sivan was NOT a morning person. Getting out of bed was always hard for him; probably due to the ludicrous amount of time he spent scrolling through tumblr all night long. But today, he proved to be even more difficult to rouse. Today, he was leaving his family behind to go to St. Blyton's boarding school for boys and girls, situated in London. And honestly, the idea seemed like living hell to him.

"Troye!" His mother shouted for the third time that morning. "You have to get up, we're going to be late for your first day!"

Troye groaned and rolled over, pulling the duvet over his head to try and block out her voice. He had been dreaming, he suddenly remembered. He couldn't remember what about, but he knew it was a good dream. His eyelashes fluttered and he felt himself drifting off again...

Suddenly, a draft of icy cold air hit his barely clothed body, immediately causing him to wake up. His mother, Laurelle, had yanked his duvet off of him, leaving him naked except for his boxers.

"Mum!" Troye shouted, now thoroughly awoken. "What are you doing?!"

Laurelle rolled her eyes and sighed. "Honestly Troye! I didn't want our last day together to be a miserable one; why can't you just do as you're told?"

Smiling sheepishly at his mother, Troye stumbled out of bed and into the bathroom. He hopped in the shower, shuddering when the steaming water hit his thin, icy body. When he had heated up enough, he quickly washed his hair with his favourite coconut and lychee shampoo and conditioner set, then rubbed his body with a vanilla scented soap. He was out within five minutes.

Thankfully, he had picked out his outfit the night before so he had nothing to stress about this morning. Well, except for the fact that he was joining a school where he didn't know a single person and he struggled making friends. He shook his head, trying not to think about it, which made coconut-scented water droplets fly everywhere. Chuckling to himself, he pulled on his black skinny jeans, dark blue jumper and black trainers. He was in the middle of fluffing his hair dry when his mother called him.

"Troye! Breakfast!"

Grumbling to himself, he headed to the kitchen to see a platter of Nutella pancakes waiting for him. Laurelle smiled.

"Look, Troye, your favourite!" Troye gritted his teeth. He knew she was trying to be nice, but the way she was speaking to him made him feel like a five year old. He forced a smile and helped himself to one pancake. Barely nibbling the end, he announced himself as full. But Laurelle was having none of it.

"You can't be full, you've barely touched it! You've got a busy day ahead of you; you need your energy."

Thinking fast, Troye tried to laugh realistically. "Okay okay, but please may I finish them in my room? I'm in a bit of a rush." Laurelle smiled in agreement.

It was easy, really. Laurelle was never suspicious, and his brother Tyde was always hungry. Troye left the Nutella pancakes next to Tyde's bed, then headed back to his room to perfect his quiff.

------------------------

"Name?" The secretary of St. Blyton's school drawled, her voice dripping with boredom.

"Um, it's Troye. Troye Sivan?" Troye had a habit of ending his sentences like a question, emphasising his uncertainty on most subjects. But his own name, for crying out loud. And honestly, who else was he going to be? He was probably the only person starting halfway through the school year. He raised his thumbnail to his mouth, chewing on it nervously. The secretary scanned the documents in front of her, locating his name.

"Yes, Troye Sivan. You'll be staying in room 3G. Here's your timetable, here's a map, here's a key." She handed him some papers and the key, before dismissing him. Sighing, Troye grabbed his suitcase and tugged it away from the secretary. Already tired, he sat carefully on the edge of his case and studied the map.

Room 3G was on the third floor, seven rooms along. There was no elevator. He would have to heave his heavy case up three flights of stairs. Flexing his barely-there muscles, he lifted his case and managed to carry it up four steps before dropping it, panting. Footsteps behind him caused him to spin round, startled and embarrassed. But when he saw the boy who had approached, he grew even more flustered.

This boy was gorgeous. Like, ridiculously so. Beautiful, pinkish tinted skin, large muscles, dimples and mischievous, twinkling eyes. His blonde hair shone as if he himself was the sun, and Troye suddenly felt inadequate, thinking of his boring, mousy coloured hair. He felt the colour rush to his cheeks as the boy smirked at him.

"Need some help with that?" He chuckled, gesturing to the suitcase. His muscles strained against his shirt. Troye bit his cheeks to keep from saying anything to make the boy uncomfortable. His face grew, if possible, redder and hotter.

"Um, it's okay," he managed to stammer out. The boy frowned.

"Well, I don't mean to sound rude, twink, but you don't seem to be managing particularly well by yourself. Here, let me." And despite Troye's feeble protest, he swung the case over his shoulder and continued up the stairs.

"Which room are you in?" The boy called over his shoulder.

Troye stumbled up the stairs after him. "Room 3G," he mumbled. The boy laughed; a crazy, deafening, carefree laugh.

"What's funny?" Troye asked curiously.

The boy giggled again. "It's not that funny really. It's just, we're going to be roomies." Troye blushed again, and didn't reply.

Eventually, the two boys were stood outside room 3G. The blonde boy unlocked the door and they went inside. Dropping the case onto the bed furthest from the window, he turned to Troye and held out his hand.

"I'm Tyler," he grinned. "Tyler Oakley."

Troye nervously shook the offered hand, cringing as he imagined how sweaty his own palm felt to Tyler.

"I'm Troye. With an E."

"Well, Troye with an E," Tyler mocked, making Troye blush again. "Pleased to meet you." He gave a flirtatious wink, making Troye turn absolutely crimson. Tyler smirked with satisfaction.

A knock on the door interrupted them, and another boy poked his head round the door. "Ty?" He called, and spotting Tyler, he entered the room with a smile. Tyler grinned back, and almost sang "hey babe!"

Troye's heart sank a little. Babe? This must be Tyler's boyfriend.

A/N: Please let me know what you think of this! It's my first fanfic and I need all the help I can get :) Feel free to leave comments on what I could improve on, or ideas for what to include in my story. Votes and comments are much appreciated!