My fist connects with the boy's face and a sickening crack resonates with the first punch. I land several more blows before Ember's voice calls me back to reality.

"John." She says. It's only a whisper but it's enough to stop me.

I grab the boy by his collar, lifting him up so we're nose to nose. Some of his blood smears onto my face but I'm unfazed as I sneer at him. "Don't you even come near Ember again. You hear me?"

He nods quickly in agreement and I give him one last shove as he takes off running across the bridge back into town.

"You didn't have to do that. I was fine." Ember is quiet, unsure if I'm angry with her.

I say nothing at first, grabbing the whiskey bottle from her hand. Knocking the bottle back, I take several large gulps before I look her in the eyes. "What were you doing with him?"

"James asked if I wanted to come out here with him, he's always been kind to me at school, and the whiskey was my idea. So you can't blame that on him." She explains.

I scoff and shake my head gently. "Ember, of course he's kind to you. He wants to fuck you."

"You don't know that." She crosses her arms, stubborn as always.

"You're beautiful, Ember, I mean look at ya. Any guy would die for a chance at you." I realize I'm still angry but not with her.

Ember sits down on the cobbles, her feet dangling over the edge of the bridge and pats the space beside her. "Are you jealous?"

"Christ, Ember. I don't know." I sigh, sitting beside her. She leans over, wiping the boy's blood from my face before resting her head on my shoulder. "I'm just trying to keep you safe is all." I dig the flat cap with razor blades sewn into the peak out of my pocket and hand it to her. "I'm not gonna be around as much." I explain.

She carefully touches the blades, understanding I'll be busy now that I'm a Peaky Blinder. "Are you trying to keep me safe because you won't be around much or because you don't want to see me with other guys?"

"For fuck's sake." I groan, not liking when she makes me talk about things like this. "Both." I finally admit.

"You like me." Ember grins giving back the cap and grabbing my hand. "If I'm being honest, I was hoping you'd be jealous."

I drop her hand, turning quickly to face her, my hands playfully pinching the skin above her hips. "You little brat. You did that shit on purpose."

Ember squeals, begging me to stop tickling her. "Alright, alright! You caught me. I just wanted you to admit you have feelings for me."

"Why does it matter?" I ask.

"Because I have them for you." She says softly, suddenly unsure.

I stare down at her pink lips, the bottom one slightly fuller than the top and place my right hand against her cheek before leaning in and kissing her gently. It takes only a moment for her to react, kissing me back, and the sweet kiss turns into an intense one.

When we finally pull away, Ember giggles, biting down on her bottom lip.

"You're drunk." I smirk.

Her eyes widen. "Don't tell Aunt Pol." She begs.

"Don't tell her what? That you're drunk or we kissed?" I smile.

"Both. I'm only thirteen. She'll fucking kill me." Ember swears. I'm full on laughing now. "John!" She whines. "Don't laugh at me!"

"I can't help it. You're afraid of Polly and it's cute."

"You're scared of her too." Ember argues.

I snort. "Aye, I've got sense. Of course I'm bloody terrified of the woman."