The Chunnin Exams

Start from the beginning

     Kakashi, Kurenai, and Asuma to everyone's surprise, except mine, all recommended their squad for the exams. Ones again the buzz of whispered began around me grew louder and louder with each second.

     "All rookies?"
     "What?"
     "Is that even possible?"

     "What hold on just a minute!" Iruka exclaimed as he took a few steps in front of me. "Lord Hokage with all due respect the nine names that were just given were all my students at the academy. I know their skills and abilities. All of them have great skills and promise but it's too soon! They need more experience! They'll fail the exam if they try now!"

     "When I took the exams I was six years younger than what Naruto is now," Kakashi lazily pointed out as he directed his gaze towards Iruka.

     "Naruto is nothing like you!" Iruka exclaimed in outrage. "Are you trying to destroy him?"

     "Well they are always complaining about not being challenged enough," Kakashi began ones again ignoring Iruka's outburst. "Maybe wiping out in the exams will teach them a lesson. A little pain is good."

     "Alright, Kakashi I think you've said enough," Kurenai sternly commented trying to stop the scene from escalating.

     "On the contrary," Kakashi ones again began focusing his gaze only onto Iruka, "I think it's important for Iruka to realize that they aren't his students anymore. They are mine."

     "These exams will destroy them Kakashi!" Iruka ones again try to reason. "You know they will be crushed!"

     "Iruka you've made your point and I understand but Kakashi is right," the Hokage commented. "They are their sensei's now and they know how much they have grown up to this point. Shizuka you've been watching over the genin as well... what do you have to say about this matter?"

     Quickly all the attention was directed towards me where I stood frozen in place.
     "Uh-well I think that," I slowly began trying to get in my perspective only to be interrupted by Iruka.

     "Come on Shizuka!" Iruka exclaimed desperately. "Do you really want to see Shikamaru crushed out there?"

     "A little pain won't hurt anyone," Kakashi's sing-song voice broke from behind Iruka as he gave me a small close-eyed smile.

     "I'm sorry Iruka," I began with a short sigh, "but I have to trust that he's ready for the Chunnin exams. They will be more dangerous and even unplanned events in the future. At least with the Chunnin exams, they can see where they stand compared to other shinobi in different nations."

     Iruka not happy with my response directed his gaze down to the floor. "But what if they aren't ready at all? What if Naruto's dreams are crushed..." Iruka whispered only loud enough for me to hear.

     Closing my eyes for a brief second I took a deep breath before bringing my gaze up towards the Hokage ones more.
     "Lord Third," I gently began as I shot a short glance to Iruka who was looking back at me questionably, "if it's okay with you... do you think maybe you can have the genin go through a preliminary test to give Iruka some peace of mind?"

     "I think that's a wonderful idea," the Hokage praised with a smile on his face.
     'At least now both Iruka and Kakashi can be happy... hopefully.'

-----

Currently, it was late at night and the village despite its busy buzz throughout the day held almost a complete silence during the night. The stars, appearing almost like spilled glitter on a black canvas, were the main source of light to where Kakashi and I were standing on a roof. The reason why both of us were still out this late was because we had just received word that all nine rookie genin had passed their preliminary exam. Now at least we all know that they can handle themselves a bit... hopefully that's enough to get them through the whole exam.