Exploration

You heard the door to the biology lab slide open as you worked at a table. You turned your head to see the tall, pale-pink Kelpien that was Saru. With a smile, you turned your whole body to face him.

"Hello sir," you greeted him. The lieutenant commander gave a small nod as the door slid closed behind him.

"Hello, lieutenant. I'm sure you're aware that we've almost arrived to Andoria?" he asked you. You tilted your head to the side a little. You weren't aware of any stop to Andoria.

"Ah, no, I don't remember being told that... Why are we stopping on that ice-ball?" you said jokingly, chuckling.

"Ahah, well, the captain was asked by the higher-ups at Starfleet to meet with an Andorian ambassador. It has something to do with the tension between Vulcan and Andoria, but Starfleet wasn't too clear on what would be happening," Saru explained. "The captain said that while she was busy dealing with the ambassador, the rest of the crew could partake in a little shore leave."

You nodded, perking up at the words 'shore leave'. It had been a very long time since the crew had a break, and boy did you need one. Everyone did. Work was hard on a science vessel after all. With a smile, you walked up to the senior officer.

"Will you be taking part in the shore leave, sir?" you asked. Saru shook his head.

"The captain said I could, but... I would rather stay on the ship," he said, shrugging slightly. You couldn't help but frown a little.

"Why? You've been on Andoria, haven't you?"

"Of course I have," Saru answered. "...For training, but yes, I have," he then added. Starfleet cadets would have to go through training which included being put into different environments, so of course he would have gone to Andoria. That planet was incredibly cold and icy; perfect for training in colder climates. However, being on a planet for a mission or training is different from actually being there for fun.

"Well I think it would be good for you. You're on an exploration vessel; you need to actually explore," you said with a small grin. Saru's gaze fell to the floor a little. He seemed to be troubled. Your grin faded and you looked up at his eyes. "Is there something wrong, sir?" you asked. The Kelpien then fixed his gaze back to you.

"O-oh, of course, lieutenant, it's just..." Saru's voice then trailed off. You stepped closer to him as your face softened, giving a more sympathetic look. The chief science officer gave a sigh as he looked around, seeming as though he wanted to make sure no one else was in the room to hear what he was about to say.

"I don't feel comfortable leaving the ship for something like this," he then confessed. Your eyebrows furrowed slightly, confused as to why.

"Why not?" you asked. Saru seemed hesitant to answer and his gaze fell to the ground. Stepping forward, you gently placed a hand on his arm. His blue eyes then looked to you. The Kelpien took in a breath, then spoke.

"Every time we have had a shore leave, I've noticed that crewmen often go in pairs or groups," he began. "They'll explore together, taking in the culture of the planet's inhabitants or enjoy the scenery." Saru then paused. You nodded, showing you were listening. Again, the science officer seemed hesitant and he fell silent.

"Yes, most of the crewmen have friends on the ship, sir... what does that have to do with your problem?" You asked. Saru looked away for a moment, then sighed.

"What I'm trying to say is... I don't exactly have a companion for that," he finally confessed. "First Officer Burnham is the only person I actually talk to on a regular basis, but she's usually with the captain during shore leaves so I can't go with her."