Conversation

It was time for your break. You had just finished working in the labs, and your mind was exhausted. Looking at data all morning can be very tiring, after all. You stepped into the cafeteria and headed over to the food synthesizer. You were pretty hungry; you had forgotten to eat breakfast this morning, and some of your friends in the lab scolded you for this.

"Computer- chicken soup with a glass of ice tea, please," you spoke to the food synthesizer. You waited as it shut, and listened to the sounds of the machine doing its work. The machine finished synthesizing your meal and opened once more, presenting to you a very appetizing soup with a tall glass of ice tea. You lifted the tray of food and looked around, scanning the room for a place to sit. Most of the crewmen were already sitting with others, in the middle of conversations or enjoying meals. You were not the type to barge in on others' time together, so you continued looking as you slowly walked among the tables and chairs. You then saw lieutenant commander Saru, who was also on break. He was enjoying some tea, and reading off of a PADD. The senior officer was sitting alone, so you figured he may not mind the company. You wanted to ask him about the small "incident" you two had about a week ago.

"Sir, I hope I am not intruding on anything," you spoke softly as you approached him. The Kelpien looked up to you from his PADD, and he shook his head. '

"Oh, no, of course not lieutenant. You may sit if you'd like," he gestured to the seat across from him. You smiled and sat, setting your tray on the table. The lieutenant commander took a sip of his tea.

"So, I.. I wanted to ask you about what happened a week ago," you began, and he tilted his head in his usual, curious fashion. "We hadn't really spoken to each other properly since then, and I wanted to know if you were alright after that." The Kelpien nodded and gave a small smile.

"No, do not worry about it lieutenant," Saru spoke with a friendly tone, "you were curious, and just wanted to see more of my anatomy." You nodded, taking a small sip of your soup from a spoon. You were relieved- you did not want to have to start avoiding a senior officer over one odd incident. Not only that, but you viewed Saru as almost a friend. Of course, you never really told yourself he is your friend, as he was your senior officer and interpersonal fraternization was seen as inappropriate between senior officers and those of lower ranking. The First Officer was merely very friendly to most of the crew, so you took his kindness as just being polite rather than an actual relationship.

You looked down at the PADD he held in his slender hand, cocking your head to the side. He seemed to be rather absorbed in what he was reading.

"May I ask what you are reading, sir?" You asked. Saru looked up at you from his reading once again, and he nodded.

"Just some old literature, from Earth. I have found your peoples' old writing very fascinating," Saru explained and he sipped his tea. You raised your eyebrow, your curiosity piqued.

"What specifically are you reading, sir?"

"It is called Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare. Have you heard about him?" You tried not to let out a small giggle as he read out the title. Really? Out of all the old literature he could read from Earth, he chose Romeo and Juliet. You almost felt embarrassed not only for him, but the rest of the human race. Such a cheesy story was sure to give Saru an odd impression on ancient humans. Saru had a look of confusion on his face from how you had attempted to stifle a laugh.

"I apologize, sir, it's just," you giggled a bit, "I did not expect you to be interested in such a genre." Saru shrugged, he almost seemed embarrassed himself.

"W-well, it's not that I am interested in romance in particular, I just... Find it fascinating how you humans interpreted it in writing. Humans have such interesting ways of dealing with love and loss," Saru went on a small tangent. You could not help but look into those wonderful eyes of his as he spoke. They were just so lovely, so deep and captivating to peer into. You realized you were staring again, so you took yourself out of your trance.

"Well, I hope you realize that it is a work of fiction," you gave another small giggle, "humans aren't that dramatic, as the story may have you believe."

"But stories such as this will have their origins, no matter how far off the finished story may actually be from the truth," Saru interjected. You nodded. "The idea of a young couple going so far as to commit suicide over love is quite chilling, however- sometimes I question human morality with these stories I read," the Kelpien joked and chuckled, and you giggled along with him. It was nice to see Saru enjoying himself while reading into human culture, even if it was rather ancient by now. You were always interested in how other sentient species interpreted the culture of the human race. You were rather curious about Kelpien culture, as Saru never often talked about his homeworld at all.

"What is the literature like on your planet, sir?" You asked, and Saru seemed to pause for a moment. His face seemed to go somber for a moment, and he took a small sip of his tea.

"...I-I apologize sir, if that was a question you are not-"

"I-it's fine, it's fine, lieutenant..." Saru shook his head. "My... Homeworld, Kaminar, did not have much for literature. At least, not for my species anyways," Saru confessed and you nodded, your face serious. It seems as though Saru was about to open up to you a little.

"What do you mean by that, sir?" You asked and Saru paused again for a small moment.

"Well, you know my species is a species of prey, hunted and bred by apex predators... Because of this we were unable to really express ourselves through writing or other forms of art. We never felt safe enough to do that kind of thing." Saru let out a small sigh as he put down his PADD. You felt guilty- perhaps it was not a good idea to ask him this. He seemed to want to continue though.

"The other species on our planet, however, did have that kind of freedom. They never shared it with us, though. In fact most, if not all, of the Kelpiens are not capable of reading or writing," he explained further. You nodded, listening to him. You felt bad for him, now knowing that for the longest time in his life he was unable to do so many things that humans had been capable of doing for millennia.

"So, when you came to Earth, that's when you started to learn everything you know now?" you asked, and he nodded.

"Yes. My experiences on Earth are probably the safest I've ever felt.." Saru trailed off, and you could see in his cyan eyes that this thought disturbed him. You nodded, giving him a sympathetic look.

"I'm sorry, sir," you tried to comfort him. Saru nodded.

"Do not say sorry if there is nothing to be sorry for, lieutenant." Saru tried to make light of the situation. Saru looked down at his tea.

"Oh dear, my tea has gone cold," Saru let out a sigh. You noticed that your soup had gone cold as well.

"Ah, I apologize sir, that would be my fault..."

"No, it is alright lieutenant, it is my own fault for not paying attention," Saru shrugged and looked at your soup, "and it appears that I was not the only one that wasn't paying attention." You let out a small giggle, trying to lift the mood. The lieutenant commander chuckled as well. Saru then stood, lifting his PADD and nodding to you.

"Well, I thank you for your company, lieutenant," the Kelpien smiled and you gave him a smile in return. "Its best I take my leave now, I may be needed on the Bridge."

"No need for thanks, sir," you waved, and watched as he walked out from the cafeteria. You looked down at your cold soup. You didn't want to get up to reheat it, so you decided to just eat it the way it was. You ate, reminiscing on your conversation with Saru. You pondered whether or not he had told anyone else this information before, and the look of sad realization in his eyes stayed in your mind.

Even if the conversation may have been painful for Saru, you were thankful. Thankful he opened up to you. And perhaps he was thankful, too, that he could tell someone a bit of his life.