CHAPTER FOUR: GRACE TO GRASS

Yes, I would have involved the cops. Trace whoever the sick person is to unravel his identity. Use whatever extreme protocol it requires to get it done.

But having encountered a lawless thug in the past, I desired to never experience the brutality. The very thought of it brought back old torturing memories.

My only wish was for the secret admirer to meet up with his own potion of Karma. It can be bitcher than having to go through the stress.

Silently, like a grieve-stricken widow, I went back home mourning my lost. And whatever predicament reality holds for me.

Then, I realized I was being followed when the door creaked yet again after I'd closed it behind me. Turning, I faced my three employees...ex employees for clear accuracy. Nothing's left for them to lend a hand on.

I sighed, settling in a couch staring at them. Searching for words on how to dismiss them from my employ without looking miserable.

"I'm sorry for what happened, ma'am," Harry spoke up.

I wanted to tell him it wasn't his fault that I was robbed for him to be sorry, but stopped myself all too soon on discerning no reason to say that to him.

"We," Esther pipped, bringing her hands together in front of her.

I will miss them so much, I lowered my eyelashes to contain the liquid heavily pulling in my optic. With a heavy weighty heart, I motioned uselessly around the expanse of my room forgetting totally the words I had been meaning to deliver before attempting a speech. They are the best set of people that'd worked for me. The relationship between us was so platonic that you'd think us best of friends. For the ma'am part, I'd told them several times to call me by my name. However, they bluntly refused.

"For your salaries, I'll transfer it to your accounts by monday," I inform to them.

"Today is thursday," Clara said, the second time she'd spoke within the period of four hours.

"I know," I replied, gently. Wondered if she thought I have no clue of that. "Expect your wages on monday," I repeated.

"I don't want it. You already have a burden as terrible as...what I'm intending to say is that you keep the money. You will be needing it more than I do," Harry finished, his voice laced with worry.

I smiled genuinely at him. Communicating to him before speaking, of how unreasonable it'll be to accept the whole of his month's salary. "I can't do that, Harry. I appreciate-"

"We are giving you no choice but to," Esther interrupted, glancing once at Harry. "I won't accept it, either. You need it more. I've never got stripped of something dearly treasured to me, but still have an inkling of how bad it feels."

I shook my head even before she would finish. "Your labours for an entire month will not be traded with nothing."

"Exactly. If they both don't need their money, I do. So badly that I demand for it right now. There are things I want to buy and can't wait for monday to do so," Clara mumbled, glaring sidely at Harry.

"Clara sees it the way I do."

"Ugh!" Harry exclaimed rolling his eyes. "Hers is pure greediness."

"Don't you dare tag names on me. I bloody hell worked for it and deserve my goddam money! If you weren't mama's boy depending solely on mama's food, you wouldn't have tell her not to pay you," she shot back.

"Enough." I shot a hand up in time to hinder Esther as she glared at Clara, her mouth open ready to fire her own piece of mind. I already had a headache to attract more.
I gazed at Clara. "Be sure to receive your pay by monday. I don't have it on me now because-"

"Because of what?" she shouted of a sudden, stunning me into silence. I gawked at her-astonished. Trying to understand how she goes from friendly to hateful. Maybe she'd kept her true colour hidden all the while. Pretending to be nice only to take me off-guard when she was no longer working for me. A perfect example of 'fake friends are identified when things go south'.

Technically, she wasn't my friend. However, I expected no such thing from her.

"As I already mentioned I can't wait till monday." Harry elbowed her, she nudge back sharply shoving him a step. "Do that again and I swear to make you bleed through your crook nose," she threatened tersely. Her face turned bright red.

Harry's hand unconsciously made to his pointed nose, he eyed her. "Try harder bitc-"

"Harry," I called over him cutting him off before he would finish his sentence. "Exercise some patience. Only three days left."

To my surprise, she snickered. "Stop attempting to earn my pity. It's non of our faults that you suffered a loss. Life has to go on."

Anger ignited burning my inside. Insultathon comeback availing itself to use, inhaling deeply and quickly I brushed her words aside. "Thank you for your concern. Now do we have an agreement?"

"Like I can force the bills out of your account?"

Esther exhaled loudly. "Might I change your mind into calling the police? Allowing the matter slid by like it'd never happen is likely to occur again. You wouldn't sincerely want to let it go without a fight."

"I prefer dealing with it by maintaining silence. Who knows..." I shrugged, deliberately letting my remaining preposition, hang.

"If you insist. Contact me in case you need my help," Esther offered.

"Me too," Harry said, pressing his lips together. His gray eyes traveling to Esther in non-verbal message.

"We'll be leaving," Esther informed.

"Thank you so much."

Esther bobbed her head, lowered her dark-brown eyes. "Bye." They both turned and walked out of the room. Clara fastened on behind.

Soon I heard raised voices, without having to verify I knew it was Harry and Esther against, Clara.

Weakly I stood up, the weight of the unforeseen weighing down on me. The absence of other option than making use of my credentials sent tears to my eyes. My chest constricted blocking air from gaining entry. I pushed to my feet, only to drop back down as my feets trembled under me. I stared up, blankly, allowing the warm liquid flow freely. My shoulders rocked in unison with a heart-searing hiccup. Then, the taste of something metallic registered in my brain, that was when I realized I had been biting too hard on my inner lips. I breathed in deeply to clear the blockage in my lungs, my teeth chattered like on who had caught a cold.

After getting done with College years back and working in a Shoe producing company for a year, I quitted to establish my own business. Barely a year of achieving that, my effort is shattered as though Life decided to flex its muscle daring me to try and think of bettering my life. What other choice have I?

I tried once more to reach for my height, this time succeeded. Trudging like an old lady supported by her walking stick, I forced my self towards the direction of my room, settling to start anew by seeking for a job.