9

We didn't talk about what happened at the gallery opening. However, I found myself reading more of Chloe's book. Why? Loneliness. Oh I interacted with Mr. Emery of course but I was missing that intimacy—no matter how cool it might have been.

Ever the masochist I continued reading even though her every word burned me and made my skin itch. It wasn't fair. According to the book she got everything I wanted to have. If her book was to be believed they were the perfect couple which made me feel like the ultimate third wheel.

A loud sigh heaved my chest and I tucked the manuscript back away. Across the cabin Mr. Emery looked up from his slim silver laptop and stared at me for a handful of seconds before closing the lid and walking over to me. When he sat down beside me my brows furrowed as he leaned back in the chair.

"Have you ever been to Connecticut before?" The question was so mundane it hardly registered at first.

"No. I can't say I have."

"I think you'll like it. The trees are really nice this time of year and the temperature isn't too bad."

So this is what we've come to. I guess it wouldn't be a Holiday without awkward small talk. "That sounds nice."

Quiet slipped between us for a time and then he broke it.

"I notice you're still running in the mornings."

"Yeah, I like how it makes me feel after. That and the whole extra donut I can eat a day isn't too shabby." I kept my eyes on the table in front of me. It was hard to look at him. Oh he was still gorgeous and that was the problem. Every time I looked at him was a reminder that I didn't belong to him anymore and it was all my fault. I ended it because I had a moment of being an adult and realizing my limitations.

"You really shouldn't have too many complex carbs. It's bad for your depression."

"I know. That was me being glib and failing." I smiled to the table and he reached out and with a gentle touch to my chin lifted my attention to his.

"You didn't fail, I was just cautioning you. Regardless of where we stand you're still... I worry about you." The corners of his lips turned up in the briefest of smiles. "While you're here since you don't know the neighborhood and GPS can get a little wonky out there I was thinking we could do our runs together in the morning."

"As much as I like running being pushed over into vomiting territory isn't something I'm really up for at the moment."

"I understand whole heartedly. We'll go slow."

Nodding slowly I found myself transfixed with his mouth. We were different people there might have been a kiss there but being who we were I fixed my gaze out of the window at the cloud deck instead.

"So are there going to be a lot of people there Thursday?" I switched subjects glancing back at him.

"Not really. It'll just be myself, Colin, Aria, Steve, his wife and their son, Tara and her daughter, oh and my Aunt."

"Is there going to be enough room?"

"More than enough. The house has been in our family for generations."

"Wait, are you telling me that I'm about to see where you grew up?" I turned to face him once more.

"Mhm."

Some unreadable expression crossed his features and I couldn't for the life of me make sense of it.

"Is your father going to be there?"