Chapter 2

I see you've decided to chase down Lieutenant Anderson. I am unable to tell you if this is a wise decision at this time, but like Schrödinger's cat, until you decide what happens, everything is happening at once. So, let's see what fate has in store for our characters.

~*~

Stuff this guy! I didn't excel in the academy for this bozo to degrade me to the likes of copy and coffee runs. "There most certainly is a chance, Sir." I jog beside the android and Lieutenant. "I've been assigned, and I'll be damned if I don't accompany you on this case."

They finally stop moving as Anderson towers over me. "And I told you, not a fucking chance!"

"If I may intervene," the RK800 says, hand gesturing toward me. "I think it would be best if Detective Gibson accompanies us."

I feel relief when my superior shifts his focus to the RK. "So you're on her side now? Are you fucking serious?"

"Not at all, Lieutenant. I am programmed to accomplish my task, and through a scan of her Academy test results, she would be a help, rather than a hindrance." The android's right eye twitches once again. "There's been an incident at the scene. I must stress that time is of the essence."

And without further ado, Connor took the most direct route to the car park.

"Sure," Anderson scoffs before storming off. "I'm only your superior. What the fuck would I know?"

I zip my lip and follow them to the oldest looking car in the lot. The metallic brown box looked similar to a car I'd seen in a museum as a kid. I bet it doesn't even have autopilot. Sure enough, when I sit in the back I find a leather wheel with chrome dials adorning the dash. I looked at the belt and waited for it to fasten me in ... nothing.

The Lieutenant looks over his should and huffs. "What are you waiting for? Buckle up, kid."

I grab the black belt and look at the metal clasp. Now, what in the hell am I supposed to do with that?

"Jesus! Put it in the red buckle beside you!"

My face flushes as I do as he instructs. Great start, Inara.

We leave the precinct and travel in tense silence. My mind races with the possibilities this case holds. The number of incidents against owners of androids has skyrocketed in the past six months. Of course, Cyberlife has tried to downplay the whole thing, as if they were isolated instances. Surely people knew better.

The engine cut, pulling me out of my thoughts. "We're here?"

"Yes." Anderson points his index finger in my face. "And you are not to move." He waves toward the android. And you too."

Before I could say anything, Connor speaks, "of course. Whatever you say."

The seasoned detective smirks. "Fuckin-A, whatever I say." He slams the door behind him, and leaves me with the robot.

I look at The idol machine before throwing my hands in the air. "Do you know where he can shove his instructions?"

"No." The android's brows furrowed. "Where?"

"...never mind." I decide trying to explain the whole thing would take too long, and hop out of the car, as Connor quickly follows. The whole shanty house was surrounded with police holotape, trimmed with a herd of journalists.

"Excuse me miss, would you be able to confirm that this is an android-related assault?" The closest journalist jerks a digital recorder in front of me.

"I can't confirm anything at this time." I brush her off, flick my badge out to the male police officer on guard.

But as Connor tries to follow me in, the guard holds his hand out. "No android's past this point."