Chapter 3: I won't leave

7 years back
Oscar & Calida: 15 years old

Calida's POV

I wake up and open my eyes to find my room unusually dark. Is it still night? And how is it so dark? I should get up but I feel so exhausted. I let out deep sigh and am about to push myself to get up when I hear my mom's voice "Hi Baby! How are you feeling now?"

"Mom I'm exhausted. I don't feel like getting up but it feels like I've been asleep for a while now. What time is it? And why is this room so dark?"

I hear slight shuffling and only when the small table lamp is switched on that I am able to see her. She looks tired herself but she moves her chair closer to my bed and runs her fingers through my hair. That always relaxes me.

"Relax darling. We got back from the hospital yesterday. You had a severe headache this morning and fell asleep after taking a pill for that. It is 12:30 pm right now. Since the light was hurting your eyes, Oscar taped black construction paper on your windows yesterday. The doctor had mentioned you need to rest all of this week and you'll get better sleep in a dark room."

Oh my god! Oscar. "Mom where is Oscar? How is he? Is he ok?"

"Relax Calida. He is fine. Fortunately he didn't get hurt. He was the one who called me and then took you to the emergency ward. He has been with you almost this whole time. He has been really worried about you. I wanted a change of scene for him and thus pushed him to go home, shower, change and maybe sleep for a few hours. He needs to rest as well. His body also went through shock."

I am so confused now. How can I not remember any of this? My mom notices my confusion. "You were diagnosed with Post Traumatic Amnesia. The doctor said it is common after the head injury that you had. You are now recovered from that but you have been on medication and thus you are slightly foggy about things right now. Hopefully today will be a lot better. How about I bring you your favourite soup? Are you hungry darling?"

Before I can answer, I hear the doorbell. Mom smirks at me and shakes her head saying "It better not be Oscar!" and leaves to open the door.

I hear some muffled voices from below and soon hear someone running up the stairs. My door opens and I'm greeted by a very happy looking Oscar. He quickly takes his shoes off and climbs into the bed with me. I see him stare at me for a second before he lays down to completely engulf me in a hug. I can hear the smile in his voice when he whispers "You asked for me today" before adding "Are you feeling better now?"

I sigh, "Yeah, I guess I am." While my headache is faint, my head feels heavy and drowsy. Also I'm feeling very claustrophobic and slightly nauseous. "Oscar, could you please move a bit and not hug me right now?"

He seems a bit surprised and when I turn, I see a look of hurt flash across his face. His hands leave me and I feel him move away slightly before he slowly asks "What happened?"

"Nothing happened. I'm just feeling a bit claustrophobic."

He picks up a pillow and goes to lie on the opposite side of the bed, placing his pillow slightly away from my feet. He lies down quietly but gives me a small smile and says "Its ok. I understand."

Maybe I should just sleep for a little more time. I have barely closed my eyes when I suddenly feel his hands pressing my feet. Ughhh! I never asked for this. I don't want to sound rude or ungrateful, but I feel myself getting slightly irritated right now. "Oscar what are you doing?"

"Nothing. The doctor said you might feel some numbness in your hands and feet. I thought massaging might help. Is this not helping you? " His voice wavers in the last part before adding "Want me to read a book to you?"