41 // LEGACY

Author's Note:  

Author's Note:  

This is it, Hedonists. The end. Finally. Thankfully (for me, anyway). This is a 10k word monster of a chapter, but there was no way else to break this down and as battles go, 10k seems fitting. I've never wrote a chapter back to front before, but that's how this has all come about. I started with a large section at the end, then wrote a few paragraphs at the beginning and then, like a jigsaw puzzle, had to somehow piece the whole bloody mess together. It's scrappy, it's definitely a mess, but I'm going to be unapologetic about this one and just let it go. This book has been a year's worth of work, research, crying into my notebook, giving up, coming back to it, wishing I'd never started the bloody thing in the first place, hating it, being a bit addicted to it and most of all, loving the bones of it and all the characters it gave to me. 

Thank you for your support and patience the whole way through. It's not easy being one of my readers. I know this. I write sporadically and this year has been tougher than ever on my non-existent writing schedule. This is why I adore you all so much for sticking with me, even when I seem to give so little in the way of regular updates. 

Anyway, here it is. I'm uploading three parts in total - the final chapter, the epilogue and the final part. I would ask that if you would be so kind, please do leave a vote and comment on each. It helps with the algorithms and the rankings and also makes me feel all warm and squishy inside ;-) 

Thank you again for everything. I adore you xxx

'Ethan,' I whispered urgently. 'I can't do what you asked. I don't know how.'

He pulled me close again, smiling as he trailed the backs of his fingers of his now-blackened hand down my cheek. 'Just let go, Casey. Trust your instincts. Trust yourself. You can do this.'

I swallowed my fear and nodded, still unsure that I could do what he wanted, still sure that his faith in me was misguided.

'Oscar, look after Addi.' Ethan gestured to Addi, who was standing behind us all, still staring wide-eyed up at the Archangels as if hypnotised. I couldn't blame him. Even with their terrifying wings of fire, they were still dazzling to the eye. They were rising up into the air now, retreating towards their forces, the screech of the Cherubim heralding their return.

Oscar's nose wrinkled as if he didn't much like his appointed role as Addi's guardian. 'And what exactly are you going to do?' he said to Ethan.

'I'm going to do just what I promised.' Ethan turned back, directing his gaze not towards the members of the Divine Council, but towards Blake, who stood poised and ready.

In a move that confused me, Ethan nodded at him and Blake hesitated, before slowly nodding back.

'What's going on?' I said. 'What's happening?'