Chapter 28: Kimberley

Start from the beginning

                Ronnie snaps the whip once then puts it back in her belt.  She walks back to me pretending to be all that was nothing, about her accomplishment but on the inside I can tell she was jumping for joy.  Then she does start jumping up and down.  “Oh, my gosh, I can’t believe that worked!”  She screams.  I slap my hand over her mouth again remembering her to shut up. 

                “Yeah, that was pretty impressive.”  I say.  “You finally learned the hanging trick.”  I already learned that move from Logan when I was about her age.  She wasn’t old enough yet, guess she is now.

                “Yeah, never used it on a hologram dummy before, only a manikin.  That felt so cool!”

                “Shut up!”  I hiss.  She settles down and blushes.  I shake my head smiling.  “We should probably get moving.”  I say before she can scream again. 

                We walk for few minutes looking around no holograms seemed to be in sight.  “Where’d they all go?”  I ask confused. 

                “It’s funny.”   Ronnie says walking up next me.  “Every time we’re on the ground they seem to be hiding.”  

                I halt.  It hits me like a lightning bolt.  “Oh my God how could I have been so stupid!?”

                “What?” Ronnie asks me.  She didn’t get it. 

                I look up again.  I turn around a sure enough I see little bright yellow patches in the trees.  “Ronnie how come we haven’t we seen more than seven holograms.”

“Because they’re just hard to find?”  She says.

“No, because they know our every move they know what we’re going to do next. Ronnie, we aren’t hunting them.  They’re hunting us.”

                Sure enough after I said those words the holograms leaped out from the tree tops. All of them gleaming at us.    I rip out my sword and a knife.  Ronnie takes out a knife and her whip.  There was less than before but still enough to fight. 

                “Ready Ronnie?”  I ask her.  My body is trembling, waiting to fight.  I am ready to attack.

                “Ready.”  She answers.  I don’t wait to say go, I just leap out.  The holograms mimic us.  I swing my sword and hit another.  The metal swords clash together in swipes and pounds.  Jama has made these holograms good fighters.   They seemed better than the ones at the Lodge.  

                Soon the hologram loses balance which gives me the opportunity to strike at his chest.  He disappears in an instant.   But another one steps in his place.  I growl.  This one has a club.  I switch my knife and just use my sword.  The hologram swings the club around aiming for my head.  I duck just in time and kick my leg out tripping him to the ground.  I pounce up.  But am tackled by another hologram.  He pins me to the ground holding my arms down while the other hologram takes his club and raises it ready to hit me across the head.