She was sullen as they went through and tried to insist on paying but Remy wouldn't hear of it.

"I chose them, I buy them," he said, pointing to the pile of T-shirts and jeans she had picked for herself, which he had left in the cart. "You can buy those if you really want to."

She did, though she didn't look happy about it.

Once finished, they hailed a cab to take them to Remy's apartment and thankfully, the cab driver gave them a hand inside with all their bags.

Remy's apartment was on Chartres Street, on the ground floor of an old complex and his front door led off a charming courtyard. The place was smaller than she imagined but very homey and welcoming.

"So where are we?" Rogue asked as they began unpacking in the kitchen.

"Just off the French Quarter.

"I thought you'd live in the Quarter."

"The Quarter is neutral territory, this is the Thieves territory," he shrugged. "It's always best to live where your enemy can't get you,"

"The rippers can't come here?"

"Nope, not without fear of reprisals."

That made Rogue feel better.

While he thought of it, Remy rummaged in his drawers until he found a map of new Orleans and a marker pen. He began drawing a ling around the French Quarter, then extended the line north west from there. He put cross-hatches through the lower/western side.

"The darkened area is the rippers territory. Do not go in there. They are vicious and cruel and if you get into any trouble, I can't come and get you, got it?"

Rogue nodded. She wasn't staying around long enough to want to go there anyway.

"The Quarter is neutral so you can go there and officially neither side is allowed to cause any trouble, but keep your wits about you. The rest belongs to the Thieves, so if you run into any trouble, just ask for Henri."

"Why not you?"

"Cos then my father will get involved and I know he's already interested in your powers. Keep it simple, say you're a friend of Henri's."

"Won't his wife mind strange women claiming to be his friend?"

"Chère, I don't think anything could drive a wedge between those two, but you're welcome to try." Remy chuckled at the thought.

Rogue smiled then continued unpacking their food while Remy put it away. He briefly ran through what was in the cupboards that she was likely to use and told her to help herself. Then he showed her to a small bedroom that looked like it was decorated for a child.

"Will you be all right in here?" he asked. "I'd take this room but the beds a little small for me."

"I'll be fine," she assured him, slightly sad that he wouldn't be crawling into bed beside her any more. She dumped her bags on the bed then followed him out.

"Towels and linen in here, bathroom's here, don't worry about using all the hot water, there's plenty, and this is my room." He opened the last door and Rogue felt an odd thrill as she looked into his bedroom. She probably shouldn't, she was sure that hundreds of women before her had seen this place, but even that thought couldn't dampen her thrill.

It was nice, old fashioned, like the house but welcoming and surprisingly simple for someone like Remy.

"What, you wondering where I keep the chandelier to swing from?" he teased.