Milkshakes | Chpt 24

Start from the beginning

"Yes of course, I-- yeah." He paused glancing down at my hand gripping the backside of his. I looked down as well.

"Sorry," I said, pulling my hand back and placing it in my lap with my other. "I mean, what if your girlfriend heard, she'd freak."

"Yeah, she would."

"Again, I didn't mean to."

"It's okay, she gets a little worked up when it comes to me," he admitted. "Besides, it wasn't like you were making a move on me."

"Yes, she can definitely count on that not happening," I replied, sipping my milkshake.

"Oh am I not enticing enough?" He joked, eating the cherry off the top. Whipped cream rested on the tip of his nose and I snorted quietly.

"Oh no, you're very enticing," I said sarcastically, handing him a napkin. He gave me a look and I brushed the tip of my nose to tell him he had whipped cream there. He blushed and wiped his nose and I stifled a laugh. We each finished off our milkshakes and headed back to catch a ride to school. Carriages with beautiful animals waited there.

"Pretty," I muttered, smiling.

"You can see them?"

"Yes, my mom and my grandfather before. I've been able to see them for a while," I said. The thestrals were only in view to those eyes who had seen death.

"You saw your mother die?" He asked. I paused before climbing into the carriage. I nodded and he pressed his lips together with a solemn look.

"I'm sorry."

"Thank you."

The ride back to school was quiet, seated shoulder to shoulder. We were only beginning the walk back into the school when Lance spoke again.

"Okay, so you asked me about Nyma, I want to ask about mullet head."

"It's not a mullet."

"Wow, you sound just like him," he said and I gave him a look. "Whatever, why are you going with him?"

"Well, he asked me to go as friends, considering I'm really one of his only close friends. It was just nice of him, there's that date pressure and if we went that wasn't a problem."

"So you genuinely think he doesn't like you?"

"He often reminds me that I'm like the sister he never had, so unless he's into creepy incest, I think I'm good," I said and Lance scrunched up his nose.

"Well do you like him?"

"No, he's really a good person, and I wouldn't mind dating him if I had to, but we're really like siblings so it would be weird and we're not suited for each other."

"Okay, but what if someone asked you? To the dance I mean."

"I don't know, it all depends on Keith, I wouldn't want to ditch him, but if I really wanted to go with that person then I'd ask him," I said. "It's all so complicated. I was hoping we could go as a group, but everyone is in love or some shit and I'm just chilling." He laughed.

"I get that."

"You have Nyma, shut up."

"Oh yeah, how great that is."

"Is that sarcasm I hear?"

"Indeed it is."

"Is it not working out?" I asked, entering before Lance.

"Mm, I wouldn't say that, she's just not for me," he replied, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"And who is?"

"I don't know." I nodded. We walked along for a little while until he started talking again. "Can I tell you something?"

"Sure."

"When I first met you, I really wanted to hurt you, I don't know why. And I know it sounds terrible and shallow and I really hate myself for it, but I literally only flirted with you because I wanted to date and dump you."

"Oh." I watched him bite at his lip.

"I really don't know why I did it other than I was a douche who couldn't handle the fact you managed to piss me off more than other people," he said and I chuckled lightly. "But now the prospect of hurting you like that just hurts me more than I could hurt you, ya know? And as much as we annoy each other, I really think that annoying each other is what makes us good. Much simpler than me being a petty bitch and hating you."

"I admit I hated you too, but now you're just an asshole, and I'm totally okay with that."

"And you are a real prick sometimes, but I thoroughly enjoy that."

"Yeah," I agreed with an odd smile. "We're really frickin weird, huh?"

"Yeah, but I don't mind that either," he replied and I nodded. "I'll see you around." I watched him walk to the Slytherin door and I paused, leaning against the wall. "Oh and (y/n)?" He turned with a devilish smirk. "Stop checking me out."

"I wasn't!"

"Mmhmm."

"Bitch."

"Jerk."

Yeah that was a supernatural reference screw you.

~Calymari