+ + + +

It was the first introductory Dark Arts class. Regina stood in the corner as Professor Snape spoke.

"The Dark Arts are not necessarily evil – " he began. "The Dark Arts like any other magic can be used for good or evil. The Levitation spell can float a man over a cliff to his death. A simple Stupify can kill someone if hard enough and if it forces the person into a hard object."

He let that soak in. Regina smiled in her agreement, though she knew that Professor Snape was mostly correct.

"What makes the Dark Arts dark is the power does not come from wand movements or the witch's will. It comes from the Wizard or Witch's emotions. The Dark Arts are raw in the way they work magic."

At this Professor Snape motioned to Regina. "Miss Fawley, Disillusion yourself."

Regina without a single word disappeared. She stepped around and softening her steps with magic she walked to the back of the room. "Now, Miss Fawley," he continued, "Show yourself."

Everyone was looking in the corner where Regina had been, but she was no longer there. She was standing quietly next to Neville Longbottom, who whelped when he realized she had snuck up on him.

"Did anyone see what the difference between this Disillusionment and the one taught in the 5th year book," Regina asked the class.

"Mr. Longbottom," Professor Snape approached, making Neville shake in fear. "What was the difference?"

"I –" he began, "I don't know, Sir."

"Ten points from Gryffindor for not doing the required reading." He snarled. "The reason is that Miss Fawley's passions used the shadows while your will which powers the Light Disillusionment spell uses the light around you."

Everyone was paired off at this point and given the simple Incendio spell to practice.

Neville did not have a partner at this point and Professor Snape at first partnered with him, blasting him into the wall each time.

"Longbottom," he sneered, "You have to focus."

With Neville sufficiently terrified, he set each of them to try to put passion into their spell.

"The word is Diffindo," Professor Snape called. Regina's heels tapped as she walked on the tile of the classroom floor. She gave pointers as several began their work. Azure was quick to destroy her dummy against the wall. As the class neared its finish everyone was able to do the spell except Neville. With each failure, Professor Snape cut into him harder and harder. When time was finished, he dismissed them with an Essay.

"Each of you needs to write an essay on why the Dark Arts relies on your passion and not your will."

When he had assigned it, he left in a flurry. The other four left with Regina, but Neville remained behind. They had not traveled far when Regina excused herself from Azure and Gale, she disillusioned herself and walked back into the classroom to Neville, crying. Regina waited until he stood to grab his things until she revealed herself to him.

"Regina – " he said in fright.

Regina gave him a smile as she wore her dark Slytherin robes. She held out her hand. "Can you try for me, again?" She asked.

"I can't do it–" He said.

She walked up beside him. She patted his arm and left her right arm there as she turned her left wand arm and with a twirl snarled, "Diffindo –" A light exploded over one of the two dummies there.