We said goodbye to his family and went to find my dad and Bruce. They were standing with Lisa, Pickford and the DeSantos, and we all said hello before the cameras came out. I managed to get a congratulations and a few snapshots out of my brother before he took off, but then my dad and Lisa's dad used up like twelve more rolls of film taking pictures of the rest of us.

On the way out to the parking lot, Trip and I spotted Heather and I ran over to give her a big hug. "Heather! What an amazing speech!"

For all her beautiful words that night, she stood there at that moment practically speechless. Finally, she stammered out, "Th-thank you."

I saw Trip give her a wink as I asked, "Are you going to Rymer's?"

She looked over my shoulder for a quick second before answering, "Oh, no, no. I don't think so."

"Oh, come on. It's going to be so much fun. He invited the whole class! You just have to be there, okay? Just grab a friend and go. I'm expecting to see you." I took a look at Trip and added, "We're expecting you. Please come."

Heather blew out the breath she'd been holding. "Yeah, okay. Maybe I'll show up for a little while."

"Thatta girl," Trip said, before we went our separate ways.

* * *

I pit-stopped home to freshen up, ditch my graduation gown, and touch up my hair and makeup. It was tradition for the grads at St. Norman's to wear white on graduation day, and I loved the chiffon tank dress I'd found, the way the A-line skirt fanned out from hip to knee. Every step I took made me feel like a prima ballerina, the silky fabric floating around my legs.

I'd blown my hair out straight so that my graduation cap would fit on my head, but mostly, I was trying to look more classic and natural, like Michelle Pfeiffer at the end of Grease 2. I changed out my silver hoops for my diamond studs, put my St. Christopher medal on and did one last mirror check before running downstairs to say goodbye to Dad and Bruce. My brother and all the other underclassmen still had three days of exams to look forward to, and the public schools weren't due to let out for weeks. Seeing as it was a Tuesday, we knew that the town of Norman would belong exclusively to the senior Class of '91 that night.

I headed outside just as Trip was pulling in the driveway. On my way down to his truck, I could see him just sitting there behind the wheel smiling at me as I approached. By the time I opened the door, I realized the look I saw on his face could only be described as... proud.

"Hey, Chester," I offered by way of a greeting. I only called him that when we were alone; one, because I didn't want to sell him out, and two, because I liked having a secret kept just between the two of us.

"Hey there, Lay-Lay. Looking good, I see."

I smiled back in answer, caught off guard because I never knew what to say whenever he threw a compliment my way. He looked gorgeous in his dark blue jeans and white, button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up. "You, too," I said, trying to keep everything in perspective. I mean, we were still taking these little babysteps, still working on getting our friendship back on track. I had to remind myself of that.

We got to Rymer's where the party was already in full swing. We made our way out to the back deck together, and I couldn't help but be reminded how it was Tess who'd been his date for the last deck party. And this time it was me. Well, sort of.

Rymer was in rare form- the full keg he'd picked up hours before was his treat- filling up cups and passing them out like candy on Halloween. I grabbed my beer and headed into the kitchen, looking for some bowls to put snacks into. I saw Margie Caputo, and before I could even say hello or wish her congratulations, she snipped out, "You came here with Trip?"