Chapter 8: Training and First Kisses

I walked into the common room the next day looking for Clarice. I've been really lonely since Lorna got captured, so I figured I'd try to make friends with the new girl.

"Hey, Clarice." I said sitting down next to her.

"Hey." She said thinking about something.

"What's wrong?" I asked concerned.

"This Lorna chick went to jail saving my ass. I owe her." Clarice said as John approached us.

"Hey, I was wondering if you could help us get Lorna out of prison." John said.

"It won't work. I can't do anything. See? Nothing. And you want me to help you get into a jail? You'd be better off with a couple glow sticks and a hacksaw. Something changed after I got sick. I woke up with this new beauty mark here. And my powers I don't know they're they're broken." Clarice said trying to make a portal, but failing miserably and later pointing to a scar that appeared after her incident.

"Hey. Abilities don't break. Most mutants first access their abilities from strong emotions. Fear, anger, pain. But those are all unreliable. The challenge is to tap into something positive." John said thinking about what helps his abilities.

"Positive. Like, what, we do some hot yoga and find my spirit animal? Um no, thanks." Clarice said sarcastically.

"No spirit animal, but for me it's thinking about being completely free and protecting the people I love." I said thinking about the first time I helped Gus.

"Yeah, besides, I'm pretty sure your spirit animal would bite me." John said trying to lighten the mood.

"No. It'd rip your head off." Clarice said.

"Ripping his spirit animal's head off would kill him

"Ripping his spirit animal's head off would kill him. Well, I'm pretty sure that's what Native Americans believe. I saw it in a movie once." I said.

"No, it's impossible. My head can't be ripped off. Hey. We're gonna work on it. See you in the morning. You too Dylan. You can be there for moral support." John said leaving Clarice and I alone. I followed John out of the room trying to catch up with him.

"John, I don't know if me being there with Clarice is the best idea." I said from behind him. He turned around and looked at me annoyed.

"Why not, Dylan?" He asked.

"Because the last time I 'trained' someone was a disaster." I said reminding him of the time I almost burnt down the compound.

"So, what? You don't want to help?" He asked me.

"I want to help, but that kiss, it made me think about Gus and now I can't stop thinking about him. I feel so guilty that I wasn't there that night. I feel like you're avoiding me and pushing me away because you feel guilty. You avoided me for months after he died because you felt responsible, but you weren't. You're trying to have something with Sonya because you think it'll make you forget about the kiss, but I can't forget. I don't want to forget. It's the first time I felt something since he died. I need this and I know you do too because our lives are stressful and we deserve some sort of happiness." I said getting everything off of my chest.