Chapter 19

"Love is weakest when there is more doubt than trust but love is strongest when we learn to trust in spite of the doubts."

I watched in a slight daze as Lana, Soph and my aunt wandered around the showroom, fingering and glancing at ridiculously-priced place settings and crystal glasses. I'd never gone with Sophia for her wedding needs, but I was sure none of this expense was put into it.

She seemed to be reading my mind.

"Don't fret, alright? Mum got almost all the same sort of stuff for my wedding."

"I was thinking Baccarat crystal," Khalti said, as though these words were in her daily vocabulary.

"Is that a disease?" I muttered to Lana in all seriousness. She just smirked in reply. Of course she's know all about this stuff.

"And I know the perfect crockery for this!"

I stopped walking and stood still on the richly-carpeted staircase with my left eyebrow raised and my mouth slightly open.

Soph turned around. "Coming?"

It took a while until I responded. "Wha- no," I said chuckling with disbelief. "Your mum's got this covered, I'm going home."

I turned around, ignoring Soph's protests. "You don't have to listen to her, just pick out what you want."

This isn't just some party, it's your friggin' wedding, so go pick out a friggin' place setting even if it costs you two grand for one!

Nooooooooooooo!

I groaned and planted my face in my hands. When I got engaged to Zayn, I didn't think that the actual prep would be this annoying and stressful.

"God I really love him," I muttered to myself.

The settings were laid out according to brand. One component of a set was placed out, two on one shelf, with some fancy lighting. I winced when my aunt picked up a plate and examined it. Everything looked delicate - much too delicate - and I was afraid to touch anything in case it imploded on contact.

And it was true - my aunt knew what she was doing. Several times I blanked out and followed her around mindlessly and whenever I came back around, the prices just seemed to get higher and higher. It took a lot to be patient with this woman and I was trying with everything I had to hold back all the remarks I was dying to say. This was my wedding and I wanted to do this my way - I didn't want the stupid Ba-something crystal - I wanted something which I could actually pronounce!

Jesus Christ, woman!

"See anything you like, Saniya?" my aunt asked, much to my surprise. "Just pick it out, whatever you want."

"You won't like what I will," I muttered.

"Oh my God, this is crazy," I murmured when Lana was close enough. 

"Are you joking?" Lana scoffed. "I wish my mum took this much interest in wedding prep ..." She trailed off and a sort of awkward look appeared on her face.

Most of all, I was happy for a distraction.

"You and Niall are OK, right?" I asked.

She nodded slowly as though thinking about it. "I think he wants to take this further," she said shyly. "He hasn't exactly said it, but I think he's planning on proposing."

I grinned, the first proper smile I'd put on since we'd come here. "Lana, that's -"

"No, it's not," she said sharply, not meeting my eyes. "I don't want him to."