Chapter 5

"All you have to do is know where you're going. The answers will come to you of their own accord." - Earl Nightingale.

Instead of heading straight back home, I headed to the office. I rummaged through the desk drawers, quickly finding Dr. Rozen's phone cable. I sat at the desktop, turning the monitor on and went into Dr. Rozen's email account - she never logged off. I scrolled through her emails before spotting the one I was looking for - it had been opened. Then, I went into her downloads and downloaded the audio onto my phone. Every now and then, I checked if anyone walked by since the doors and walls of the office's entrance were a colourless glass. I unplugged my phone, put the cable back in the drawer and turned the monitor off before leaving the office and heading back home with a newly blown balloon in my chest.

"Are you OK?" Zayn asked, quizzically as I pranced into our room with a smile so big that my face ached.

"Peachy," I replied vaguely as I connected my phone to my laptop, downloading the audio onto it.

"What happened at the hospital?" He asked, joining me on the floor.

"Well, I didn't see Noah," I began. "But I do have a new lead...I think I do."

"Sick," he grinned. "Tell me sometime, I'm intersted now."

"Will do," I promised. "I'll ease myself on the terminology for your little boyband brain."

"Shut up," he smirked, ruffling my hair.

"I can't tell them yet," I heard her mumble as I passed through the corridor. "I haven't even processed the whole thing myself!"

"Lana, it's been five days," he said, gently. "You aren't in school or university; you're twenty-four! It isn't a bad thing, I'm with you all the way." I paused, standing casually next to the closed door. I felt pretty bad for eavesdropping, but I couldn't help it. 

"I'm not saying that it is, I just -" I heard Lana sigh. "I'm scared. I'm older but the whole concept just freaks me out."

"Hey, come on, it's alright," Niall comforted her. "I'm scared too. Don't you think they were scared? We've got everyone's backs as well."

Who were they

"But I can't tell her!" Lana cried, suddenly, as  if only realising this new problem. "She'll be so annoyed!"

"This is your life, though."

"Can't we just rent an apartment or stay at my house until it's all over?" Lana asked, sheepishly.

"And what about afterwards? We can't hide something like this, even if it is one person," Niall pointed out, calmly.

There was a short moment of silence. "All right," Lana decided, still sounding worried. "Maybe we can scrape it into conversation tomorrow, or something." 

"Thank you," I heard Niall say. "I mean it, I'm always with you on this." 

This became to cheesy for me, so I dropped it and left because I was about to start vomiting rainbows.

The conversation stuck in my mind when I watched Harry and Zayn play COD on their (now considered) vintage XBOX 360. I stared blankly at the console, ideas and possiblities running through my mind. There was one certain concept that kept going through my mind, but it was almost out of the question. Lana wouldn't now, would she? Unless she was already...but she'd have the ring and everyone would've noticed by now...