Chapter 14

"One piece of log creates a small fire, adequate to warm you up, add just a few more pieces to blast an immense bonfire, large enough to warm up your entire circle of friends; needless to say that individuality counts but team work dynamites." - Jin Kwon.

Saniya situated herself in a lit room where the walls were lined with panels to place X-rays, MRI scans, and all other scans on, and a large, lit square table in the centre which was also used for viewing them. The room was a couple floors above Rozen's office, above Zayn's room and above Noah's. She leaned against that table, staring blankly straight ahead of me at the panels in front. Noah's scans were lined up on them and she couldn't entirely come to terms with what she'd just been told.

At first, she thought Rozen was screwing around with her - she was the newest, perhaps Rozen was testing her emotional strength? Then Saniya realized that this was a stupid idea and that Noah really was dead. Worst thing was, she knew it was her fault; she never blamed myself unless the reason was right - not OK - right. And this reason was most definitely, most entirely, possibly...completely true. Saniya killed him - at least, she was involved.

Noah Jared made it out of the operation room, down the corridor and into his own bed. He passed two hours before something went wrong. It was his heart - something which Saniya had been worried about in the first place. Noah Jared hadn't survived the heart attack.

She thought she had to find something - anything - she needed to know that she could've saved this kid, some way or another.

"What are you doing?"

Saniya didn't need to look away from the brain scan to know that it was Zayn who spoke; she was, however, curious as to how he got here by wheeling himself with the morphine drip.

"You're supposed to be taking a CT scan," she replied blandly.

"Still got an hour."

"Then get some sleep."

"What happened?"

"Absolutely nothing," Saniya whispered thoughtfully, speaking about finding nothing from the scans.

"Whose is it?" he asked; Saniya was sure he knew that her answer wasn't to his question.

"Noah's."

"What happened? How did it go?" he asked gently; Saniya remembered that he had asked this before. She wouldn't be surprised if there was something in his head, messing with it.

"Fine," she grunted.

"You sure about that?" She sensed that he was being careful about what he said right now - he knew that Saniya was a time bomb just waiting to blow any minute and he could set it off. 

"What aren't you telling me?"

"It was going fine," Saniya said, making an invisible effort to keep her anger levels low, "not one single mistake. We found nothing." She sighed, bit her lip and looked down at the floor.

"He still has a few days left, though," Zayn said. "Still time to come up with something else."

"There is no time." Saniya's voice shook as the invisible effort grew. "We found nothing within the sixty seconds. I told them to go overtime. Found the clot, took it out."

"I don't understand," he muttered. 

"Noah never woke up. I killed him and I didn't even know."

Zayn was quiet for a minute, maybe two, and Saniya took this time to look back at the MRI and CT scans.

"This is hurting you."

Saniya didn't reply.

"Why do you keep looking back?" he asked, probably deciding not to comfort Saniya and instead keep talking.