two: darius, the hero

Cara

I closed my eyes.

Eight years ago, when I thought all was hopeless, someone pulled me out of the waters. I never got to thank the person. I don't even know how he or she looks like.

Talk about your final thoughts before death. I thought my life was supposed to flash before me.

Then, I felt a strong pull on my wrist.

-----

Darius

"We're a fashion magazine! Who decided it was a good idea to stalk a congressman and publish a two page spread about his affair?!" my voice boomed across the room, louder than I intended for. On the table in front of me was the latest issue of Lifestyle splayed open to the article that had sponsors pulling out on advertising deals.

Silence.

I cursed. What did I expect? They had refused to pick up any of my phone calls all morning. The room was so solemn that you'd think we were gathered for a memorial service. Around the table, no one dared to make any eye contact with me. Not even Cecilia.

I remember the first time I was introduced to Lifestyle's chief editor. She carried an air of arrogance that was rightfully deserving of someone who has been in the industry for twenty years. Cecilia did little to hide her annoyance as she gave me a once over that day - she wasn't thrilled by the idea of having a man who was young enough to be her grandson, boss her around. I admired her gutsy attitude.

At that time, the Clemonte Group had just acquired the small publishing company and my dad put me in charge of it - thinking I'd fail miserably.

Lifestyle was now one of the most widely distributed magazine in the US.

Yet all that came crashing down because someone decided that ridiculing a powerful political figure would be the next viral thing.

"Fix this."

But who was I kidding? It was up to me to pick up the pieces again. I rose from my seat and stormed towards the door, away from those beleaguered expression that did nothing but infuriate me further. Around me was a blur as my brain whirred for a solution.

I didn't have to turn around to know Raz was not far behind me.

"Invite Hannington out for dinner tonight at that gentlemen's club he loves and make sure to get a bottle of his favourite Dom Pérignon. Also, find out who the girl in the photo is and see if we can discuss anything with her."

"On it."

Loosening my tie, I sighed in exasperation. This was going to be a long day. As Raz stepped away to make the calls, I stopped in my tracks. This must be the indoor pool I approved months ago.

Why is everyone gathered around that corner?

"It's not that deep, you can't possibly drown in there."

"But she's not moving."

"Is she getting into the mood or something...?"

"Someone should go in and check on her but I don't want to get my clothes wet."

I followed their gaze down, my eyes falling to the surface of the water.

My heart stopped.

The figure in the water was eerily still while the rest of them gawked on.

Before I had time to process what was going on, I vaguely heard a loud splash as I felt the stinging impact from my face coming into contact with the water.

My limbs were moving on instinct, my veins pumping with adrenaline. Stroke after stroke, I was closer to the figure.

To her.

The pool wasn't too deep. A powerful kick off from the bottom of the pool would have propelled her back to the surface. But she was curled up into a ball. Her eyes were frozen shut and her fist had come together in front of her chest, as if praying for some kind of holy intervention. Her dark hair was like a spider's thread flowing in a breeze, painting a serene picture from her otherwise precarious situation.

It was just a split of a second, but there was something about the way she looks that tugged at my heartstrings. Where have I seen her before?

I reached out and pulled her back up to the surface with me.

With an arm supporting her head, I swam us both towards the ledge of the pool. Thankfully, from the way she gasped and struggled in my arms, it seemed she was still very much conscious. Why didn't she try to save herself then?

"Mr Clemonte!" there was a flurry of voices and footsteps dashing off in all directions as I approached the ledge. In an instant, we were pulled out of the water and I had a towel draped over me.

"Are you alright?'

"Quick! Call an ambulance!"

"Get him a new set of clothes!"

As I crumbled onto the floor to catch my breath, I was mildly aware of the panic around me. It took me a while to regain my senses, but when I eventually did, I saw Raz hovering over me in concern.

"How's the girl?" I sputtered.

The crowd around me parted.

But there was nothing. No one.

"She rejected our help and dashed off."

Jeez, without a thanks?

Rude.

-----

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote! 🙈😅♥️