Nine Muses Of Art

Pic on side are the Nine Muses of art

THEN:

Nine. Nine. Nine. Nine. Nine. I am going into labor NINE times. NINE days in a row. For the NINE of the many times I bedded Apollo. And I will have NINE girls. On the bright side, Apollo has done his best to stay with me, even though he has to guide the sun's rays over the earth. I guess that means he puts me before his job......or he knows I will kill him if he doesn't at least TRY and stay with me. Well, Artemis has stayed by my side so-oh-oh-oh-AAHHHHHH

~~~

NOW:

"....and that is how Athena was born. One of her symbols is the Owl, so in a way we owe her thanks in using her sacred animal for mail carrying." I finished explaining I turned to see some of the students (few of them) were listening, while most were passing notes or whispering. I smiled.

"I don't care if you listen to my lectures or not, but do remember this is a required class you'll have each year here at Hogwarts. So if you fail the homework and tests, you'll be held back." I said cheerfully. That seemed to wake most of them up. It was then I noticed the Hermione Granger had raised her hand, her nose in the textbook.

"Yes miss Granger?" I asked. She rose her head and cleared her throat.

"Yes, I was just reading a section of the book and was wondering something." I nodded my head for her to continue. "Well it talks about the Nine Muses of art, but it doesn't go into detail. How did they come to be?" She asked. I blinked, surprised. The Muses.......

I cleared my throat, turning around and clearing the chalkboard. Of course someone asks me that. After last night of all times too! I sighed, then turned around smiling.

"Alright miss Granger, I will tell you of the Muses." I said right before sitting down.

"There was a Goddess by the name of Veranna. She ruled over both truth and secrets. Once human and made a Goddess from the Olympian Gods she fell in love with Apollo, the Sun God. The two got married and such forth, and out of the nine times they laid together-" There were a lot of giggles at this part.

"Veranna gained a child within her....belly. So she went into labor nine times in the course of nine days, for nine baby girls. These girls, daughters of Apollo became the Nine Muses of art. The oldest, Calliope was the Muse for epic poetry. Next was Clio, the Muse of history. On the third day Erato was born, the Muse of love poetry. After her was Euterpe who was the Muse of lyric poetry, such as songs. Melpomene was the Muse of Tragedy and the fifth girl. Next is Polyhymnia Muse of singing and dance for praising the Gods. Terpsichore was the Muse of singing and dance in general. Thalia, the opposite of Melpomene, was the Muse of comedy. And the youngest being Urania who was the Muse of astronomy. Apollo taught them the arts while Veranna, well she took a much needed rest."

Everyone laughed at the last part, not knowing that it was true. While I love my daughters and think the world of them....there are some things that even a Goddess needs a break from. Besides, they always preferred their father. I looked to Hermione to see her hand raised again. I called upon her.

"But Professor Vera, the textbook doesn't mention the Veranna you spoke of, why?" I sighed. Really?

"Veranna isn't a well known Goddess" Because the people forgot about me. "The most you'll find of her is in that book." Hermione thanked me with a smile and went back to taking notes. I thought all was over when.

"Excuse me miss Vera, but this book is written by you isn't it?" I turned to the nasal toned boy named Draco Malfoy. I took a deep breath. One is not allowed to kill a mortal out of spite. Both a law and a moral.

"What of it Mr. Malfoy?" I asked. Draco stood up smirking, holding the book in his hand.

"Doesn't that make it a bit biased? What if you made up stories like the Muses and Vervanna." I grounded my teeth together as he purposely mis-said my name. I cocked my head and smiled, walking down the aisle between the desks. I walked all the way over to Malfoy, holding out my hand.

"I do not make fun of or trash your beliefs Draco Malfoy. You have no right to do so to mine. And the name was Veranna. Say it like you did earlier again, and your future at Hogwarts will be short lived." I said in the most cheerful voice I could muster. "The book please." I said, looking at the white cover of my history, my memories. Draco scowled, and pulled a condescending look onto me.

"How dare you speak to me that way? I am Draco Malfoy, son of Luscious Malfoy and I am of higher status than you!" I think something in my mind snapped when he said that. I started to tremble, my anger swelling along with my power.

"Higher status? You are above me?" I asked, no, I hissed it out. I could see Draco smile in victory. Faintly in the distance you could hear the caw of a hawk.

"That's right. I'm of higher status of your fake Vervanna too!" He started to laugh, and so did two others. His lackeys I'm guessing.  Then Draco threw the book to the floor. My eyes flashed.

~~~

THEN:

I petted Arkan softly. His white feathers shining beautifully in the sunlight. I looked over to my side when I felt something pull at my dress.

Below me was Urania, her small arms up, clearly stating that she wanted up. I helped to my lap and watched in amusement as she stared wide eyed at Arkan. Arkan stood perfectly still, not knowing who my daughter was, but knowing that she was important to me. Urania reached forward and put her palm on his feathers, feeling how soft they were.

"Arkan, this is Urania, one of my nine daughters." I said. Arkan cocked his head, then relaxed. He let Urania pet him until she fell asleep. That was how Apollo found us, Urania asleep in my lap, Arkan flying above us and me on the brink of sleep.

"Now that is a sight that is perfect for a poem..." He started trying to create a poem about it for about five years, then moved onto something else that caught his eye.