"All right, dears," my mom said. "Do you have everything you need?" 

"Yes, Ms. Jackson," Thalia said. 

"Thanks for the ride." Annabeth added.

 "Extra sweaters? You have my cell phone number?"

"Mom--"  

"Your ambrosia and nectar, Percy? And a golden drachma in case you need to contact camp?" 

"Mom, seriously! We'll be fine. Come on, guys."

She looked a little hurt, and I was sorry about that, but I was ready to be out of that car. If my mom told one more story about how cute I looked in the bathtub when I was three, I was going to burrow into the snow and freeze myself to death. 

Annabeth and Skyler climbed out of the car behind me, Thalia climbing out of the front seat. The wind blew straight through my coat like ice daggers, I felt like it could cut through the exposed skin of my face. Once my mother's car was out of sight, Thalia said, "Your mom is cool, Percy."

"She's pretty okay," I admitted. "What about you? You ever get in touch with your mom?" As soon as the words left my mouth I wished I hadn't said anything. Thalia was a master at the art of giving evil looks, what with the punk clothes she always wears and those intense blue eyes. But the look she gave me now was a perfect evil 'ten.' 

"If that was any of your business, Percy--"

"We'd better get inside," Skyler interrupted. "Grover will be waiting." She gently grabbed my gloved hand, giving Thalia a look that no other half-blood would dare to give the daughter of Zeus.

Thalia looked at the castle and shivered. "You're right. I wonder what he found here that made him send the distress call." I stared up at the dark towers of Westover Hall.

"Nothing good," I guessed. The oak doors groaned open, and the three of us stepped into the entry hall in a swirl of snow. All I could say was, "Whoa." The place was huge. The walls were lined with battle flags and weapon displays: antique rifles, battle axes, and a bunch of other stuff. I mean, I knew Westover was a military school and all, but the decorations seemed like overkill. Literally. 

I could already sense something wrong in this place. My free hand reaching into my pocket to where Riptide awaited in pen form. Something dangerous was coming. Skyler ran her fingers over the gold charm bracelet on her left wrist, something she did when she was nervous or scared. I knew we were thinking the same thing. A fight was coming.

Annabeth started to say, "I wonder where--" The doors slammed shut behind us. 

"Okay," I mumbled. "Guess we'll stay awhile." I could hear music echoing from the other end of the hall. It sounded like dance music.

Skyler's POV

We stashed our overnight bags, coats, hats, and other winter gear behind a pillar. I pulled the yellow ski cap off my head, my now shoulder-length blonde hair tumbling out. I forgot I hadn't shown Percy that I had cut it yet when he gasped softly. "Oh yeah...Do you like it?" I asked shyly, running a hand through my short hair.

"It's different but...Yeah." Percy said softly a small smile over his lips as we started down the hall. We hadn't gone very far when I heard footsteps on the stone floor, and a man and woman marched out of the shadows to intercept us. They both had short gray hair and black military-style uniforms with red trim. The woman had a wispy mustache, and the guy was clean-shaven, which seemed kind of backward to me. They both walked stiffly like they had broomsticks shoved up their--

"Well?" the woman demanded. "What are you doing here?" 

"Ma'am, we're just-"

"Ha!" the man snapped, which made me jump. "Visitors are not allowed at the dance! You shall be ejected!" He had a thick French accent. His nostrils flared when he spoke, which made it really hard not to stare up his nose, and his eyes were two different colors, one brown, one blue, like an alley cat.

Thalia stepped forward and snapped her fingers a gust of wind ripple out from her hand, across the hall. It washed over all of us, making the banners rustle on the walls. "Oh, but we're not visitors, sir," Thalia said. "We go to school here. You remember: I'm Thalia. And this is Annabeth, Skyler, and Percy. We're in the eleventh grade."

The male teacher narrowed his two-colored eyes then He looked at his colleague. "Ms. Gottschalk, do you know these students?"   

Percy bit his lip, clearly trying to not laugh, I mean it was kind of funny...Got Chalk...I tried to hide my smile as I thought about it more.

The woman blinked as if someone had just woken her up from a trance. "I-- yes. I believe I do, sir." She frowned at us. "Skyler. Annabeth. Thalia. Percy. What are you doing away from the gymnasium?"

Before we could answer, I heard more footsteps, and Grover ran up to us out of breath. "You made it! You--" He stopped short when he saw the teachers. "Oh, Mrs. Gottschalk. Dr. Thorn! I, uh--" 

"What is it, Mr. Underwood?" said the man. His tone made it clear that he disliked the satyr. "What do you mean, they made it? These students live here."

Grover swallowed. "Yes, sir-- Of course, Dr. Thorn-- I just meant-- I'm so glad they made... the punch for the dance! The punch is great. And they made it!" Grover sputtered out.

Dr. Thorn glared at us. He looked like he wanted to pitch us off the castle's highest tower, but then Mrs. Gottschalk said dreamily, "Yes, the punch is excellent. Now run along, all of you. You are not to leave the gymnasium again!"

We didn't wait to be told twice. We left with a lot of "Yes, ma'ams" and "Yes, sirs" and a couple of salutes, just because it seemed like the thing to do. Grover hustled us down the hall in the direction of the music. 

"How did you do that finger-snap thing?" Percy asked.

"You mean the Mist? Hasn't Chiron shown you how to do that yet?" Thalia asked him.

Percy shook his head as Grover hurried us to a door that had GYM written on the glass above the door. Even with my dyslexia, I could read that much. "That was close!" Grover said. "Thank the gods you got here!"

Annabeth Thalia and I all hugged Grover. Percy gave him one of those 'man hugs' and a slap on the back. It was good to see him after so many months. He'd gotten a little taller but otherwise, he looked like he always did when he passed for human besides the black shirt that said WESTOVER HALL: GRUNT in big bold red letters.

"So what's the emergency?" I asked.

Grover took a deep breath. "I found two." 

"Two half-bloods?" Thalia asked, amazed. "Here?"

Grover nodded. This was both good and bad news. These were desperate times. We were losing campers to both monsters and Lukes army. We needed all the new fighters we could find. The problem was, there just weren't that many demigods out there. "A brother and a sister," he said. "Fourteen and sixteen. I don't know their parentage, but they're strong. We're running out of time, though."

(Changing the age again)

"Monsters?" Annabeth asked.

"One." Grover looked nervously. "He suspects. I don't think he's positive yet, but this is the last day of term. I'm sure he won't let them leave campus without finding out. It may be our last chance! Every time I try to get close to them, he's always there, blocking me. I don't know what to do!" Grover looked at me and Thalia desperately. Percy looked slightly hurt when I saw him out of the corner of my eyes. 

"Right," Thalia said, looking towards me. 

"These half-bloods are at the dance?" I asked and Grover nodded. "Then let's dance,"

"Who's the monster?" Thalia asked. 

"Oh," Grover said, looking around nervously. "You just met him. The vice principal, Dr. Thorn."  He whispered.