Outbreak - Chapter Eight: Pt 2 - Hell Has Risen.

[18 hours earlier]

Sargent Chris Heers's Story:

"I swear if you get bitten out there I don't wanna be the one that has to put a bullet in you, now go." I said to Amber as she walked out.

I know she probably won't make it out there, but we're out of choices... need the supplies... "Pvt Ronald, get over here and take gate duty, I gotta go see Robert." Ronald nodded and took my position, as soon enter the tent where Robert is.

"You got anything doc?" I asked him.

He stops looking through his microscope and let's out a sigh of frustration. "Yes and no, the viruses mutation rate has increased by eighteen percent within the past few days, it became airborne yesterday and today is not, but now it's changing again, and this time there is a noticeable difference in the strain, it's genetic hardening is that of a super all antibodic resistant bacteria but now much more hard." He explained.

"Well what does that mean for us?" I asked him.

He looks at with seriousness and replies with. "I think I know why you and me and everyone else here is still alive... We're all infected as we all have been within close proximity to an infected, and if not we've spread the virus to each other when we all grouped together here... We're carrying it yet we don't show any psyical symptoms or even internal symptoms, but it's definitely inside us all..."

Taken back his words I ask him again. "So... What.. What does that mean for us...?"

He let's out a sigh of doubt, "If this virus escapes the country... It will be too late for the rest of humanity... But what does that mean for us...? It means we can never leave this country... We're going to die here Sargent."

My expression is filled with hopelessness, I have a family back home in New Zealand.. To think I'll never see them again.. It's.. Hard to take..

Four hours go by and I'm back on watch duty, a group from earlier came back with some supplies and are now waiting at the front gate.

I go down to greet them. "Welcome back people, watchya got?" I asked them.

"We got some M.R.E's from a wrecked military supply truck and some ammo for the guns that's about it, we can't access the buildings here the infected are everywhere." The group leader replied.

I nod in appreciation and ask. "Two of you are missing, where's the rest of your group Winston?"

The group leader looks down. "We tried to help someone who was injured, lost two people as we tried to carry him to saftey, me and rest ran back here with what supplies we had managed to carry."

I let out a sigh of disbelief. "Alright.. Get back inside, rest up."

"Thank you Sir" he replied as he and rest went inside.

A Few hours go by and I'm still on watch duty, more and more infected are gathering in the street outside the Safe Zone, they're all approaching from the left oddly, but what's even more weird is they all seem to instinctively know where we are, I've had to shoot those that are getting too close to the gates.

The infected are behaving more rabid than usual, I call Robert up to have a look at the infected from a safe distance.

Robert joins me at my post and I say to him. "They've been doing those weird head movements for hours now and more and more seem to keep on coming our way, they're moving slowly but... It kinda freaks me out."