Chapter Three-Meeting the Team

Start from the beginning

"So, today...what am I supposed to do? Or say?" I ask with just a hint of anxiety. Tony shrugs and sighs.

"Walk by my side. Answer whatever questions you want to answer because I have no doubt they'll ask you a few." Tony rests his foot on his knee under the table, clearly relaxed with this, while I squirm a bit in my seat. "If you want me to step in, just...scratch your nose." He reaches over and boops the tip of mine childishly as I wave him away, a small smile on my face.

"You'll do fine, Amelia. Just be yourself and don't let them get under your skin." Pepper tells me sweetly, her blue eyes clear and calm.

"Thanks, Pepper." I nod to her and she smiles before turning back to her papers.

"Anyways, it won't last very long." Tony regains my attention as a bright light flashes red. "Time to land. Seatbelts." He guides me back to my seat and straps me in like a toddler before doing the same for himself. Although I catch his glance at Pepper to make sure she's done the same. His ease of manner and relaxed state rubs off a little on me and I lean back a little in my seat, although I can nearly taste the bundle of nerves in my stomach. "Afterwards we'll be tinkering away in the facility. Alone, with some AC/DC blasting." He coaxes a smile from me just as we start to descend. I press my lips together and dig my short nails into the leather at the strange sensation. "Look at me, Amelia." Tony requests and I do so, taking in how fucking calm he is. "We're going to be fine. I designed this plane. We're safe." His words are surprisingly soft and I find my hands releasing the arms of the chair to instead pick at each other in my lap.

"Right. Got it." I breathe but squeak anyways when the wheels touch the tarmac. A long exhale releases some tension from me and Tony smiles.

"You did good. Time to head out." He unbuckles and hops up, unbuckling me and yanking me up. "Prepared for stairs or should we pull the emergency slide?" Tony teases and I promptly punch his shoulder for it. He chuckles as he opens the door. Pepper is out first, so Tony takes a moment to look over at me. "Ready, kiddo?" Tony asks with an expectant expression. I nod with trepidation. After a deep breath, I force a smile and step out. Gravel. Walk on the balls of your feet. I think to myself when I see it. I look straight ahead at the sea of flashing cameras and microphones as my heels touch the stairs and we slowly descend. We hit the ground without an incident and keep walking across the pebbles towards the facility. Just as I feel my resolve waning from too much fucking focus, Tony and Pepper are beside me. Finally remembering how to walk, I do so between the two adults into the throng of reporters. The child in me would very much like to take Tony's hand, but my pride denies the action. So, when Tony wraps my arm around his I couldn't be more grateful. We turn as we reach the front doors, finally ready for questions and proper pictures. I sigh in relief from a break in walking.

"Hey, everybody." Tony greets them and there's almost instantaneous silence when he raises a hand. "Well, it's been a while since we've had one of these, hasn't it?" Many chuckle and nod, looking at Tony like an idol. I suppose he is to many people, isn't he? My smile falters a little when I think of what those people might think when they find out their idol had an illegitimate child. Despite my doubts, when Tony looks over at me I straighten up a little. "There's been a bit of a shocking development in my life and I thought it only fair to tell the world. And before you ask, these findings have been confirmed by me directly, so there's no doubt." My hand tightens a little on his suit sleeve, crinkling the previously flawless fabric. "This is my daughter, Amelia Stark." He waves a hand at me and my smile comes easy when I look at him. Camera flashes shake me, but Tony simply twists his hand so ours are clasped together. Reporters burst forth with questions and my head nearly spins when they just shout them out. Pepper's hand on the small of my back reminds me I'm not alone and keeps me calm like Tony's hand in mine.