~12~

It was time to go

It was time to go. You were taking the Quinjet to the outskirts of Leticia, Colombia's gateway to the rainforest. You had changed into your brand new battle gear. It was soft, and made of beautiful earth tones, primarily a forest green. It was a fitted bodysuit with soft brown leather straps and pockets. The same soft leather was thicker in places, reinforced with an unfamiliar material to keep your vitals safe. To top it off, a pair of leather combat boots and a pair of brown tactical knuckle gloves that left your fingertips exposed. It must have cost Tony a fortune, and your were completely smitten with it.

You showed off your suit to Nat, doing a little spin when you stepped onto the Quinjet. She let out a low whistle, admiring its mobility as well as its capabilities.

"That is one nice suit." She looked you up and down. "And you look fantastic."

"Why thank you!" You smiled widely as Steve stepped onto the jet, jabbing you in the kidney. "Didn't feel a thing. Was that your best?" You raised an eyebrow at him and he smiled.

"It's about time he got you that suit." His eyes wandered the suit before resting on yours again. "It looks even better than I thought it would."

"Wow," Bucky interrupted before you could respond to Steve, ducking into the jet. "It turned out amazing." He stepped close to you, grabbing your arm and running his fingers over the leather piece on your forearm. "You like it?" His eyes were glowing and you did everything you could to not fall apart."Yeah I love it but-"

"Bucky and I designed it together. We asked Stark, since we know you better than anybody else." Steve answered your question before it was out of your mouth, and you found your arms around Bucky's neck. Once he recovered from his shock he returned the hug. His arms were firm and reassuring against your back, and his stubble scratched against your face as he dipped his head to meet your shoulder.

I would stay like this forever if I could...

"Thank you guys," you whispered as you untangled your arms from Bucky and gave Steve a hug as well.

*time break brought to you by a guardian's style flight to colombia*

The jet touched down in a clearing outside the City Limits. You'd been taught the basics of how to use a pistol on the flight, and now had one holstered to your thigh.

"Just in case." Bucky had said. Everyone buzzed with anticipation, the tension in the air could be cut with a knife. You picked up the GPS from the Quinjet as everybody grabbed their gear, Bucky slinging an array of assault rifles across his back.

The GPS was programmed with approximate coordinates, as you and Steve navigated the way through the quickly densening foliage. It wasn't long before you spotted cameras high up in the trees, and you quickly disabled them as you came across them, causing them to overheat. It was hot and wet and not a piece of cake at all.

Soon enough you saw a building through the trees, two armed guards standing at the entrance. Clint took them down swiftly, he and Sam hanging back under cover of the trees. The four of you approached with caution as you placed your hands on the card reader. Moments later Steve was able to pull the door open quietly. It was a small building, filled to the brim with servers with a single computer at its centre. There were no people inside waiting to ambush you, but you all stayed alert as Nat secured the information you were looking for on a flash drive, before erasing everything on the servers.

It was a hostile environment when you left the building. Clint and Sam were holding their own against a dozen soldiers, but they perked at the help of a mutant, two super soldiers and a spy.

Together, you took them down quickly and made your way briskly back to the Quinjet. You'd taken down your share of soldiers and you were proud of yourself. You even had a nice little cut on your cheek to prove that you'd really been in a fight. It wasn't a difficult mission, and you knew that, but the fact that the team trusted you to have their backs made your heart swell with pride.

*time lapse brought to you by clint and sam arguing about who's going to fly the quinjet back*

Tony met your team the second you landed, looking for a briefing. You all walked alongside him, noting the highlights. He dismissed everyone and conferred with Natasha for a little while afterword.

You went straight to your room to shower and try to decompress before going to bed. It was already late and your mind wouldn't quit racing. It had been a ridiculously exciting day.

Maybe the television will settle my thoughts.

It did, and you fell asleep on the couch in the lounge that night.