Spending This Lovely Day In Court

The day after Jason was arrested, I go to visit him. Visiting Jason in prison isn’t as scary as I thought it would be. On my way to the visitation center, I didn’t have to pass any murderers or anybody that made me nervous.

I think the scariest part of it all was walking into the room and seeing Jason in the bright orange jumpsuit on the other side of the table, fitting in with everybody else. I’ve seen these types of things on TV shows, but I never thought I would be the one here to visit somebody. I never went to see my father, nobody did.

I take a seat across the table from Jason and take a quick look at the security guards lingering around behind Jason and all the other prisoners. Jason looks completely wiped out, like all his energy has been drained.

I take a deep breath. “How are your cell mates? Or whatever they’re called. I don’t know jail lingo.”

“They’re not great,” he admits, raising his eyebrows. “Is my mom gonna bail me out before my trial? Or am I stuck here?”

“She’s trying to come up with the money,” I respond. “She has most of it…she just needs a little more. But I’m sure that she’s going to have it all really soon.”

“Listen,” Jason orders, lowering his voice. “I need you to lie during my trial.”

I gasp. “What? Why?” Isn’t lying in court a federal offense? Maybe not, but I’m pretty sure that I could get in major trouble for protecting him.

“You need to say that you were hooking up with another guy and you just led me to believe that it was the painter and not somebody else,” he explains.

I consider it for a moment. “I could get in huge trouble for this.”

“Leah, if they charge me guilty, I could be put away for ten months!” Jason yells, looking extremely intense.

“Eight with good behavior,” I offer, trying to make light of the situation, even though there really isn’t any.

“Dammit Leah!” Jason shouts, slamming his hand on the table and attracting the attention of a security guard. As the security guard approaches Jason mouths to me “Watch what you say.”

“Jason, I don’t know,” I admit, even though what Jason wants me to say in court isn’t actually a lie, he just thinks it is.

“Please, Leah. I want to be around for you through your pregnancy to help you through. I just had a lapse in judgment yesterday, but it won’t ever happen again. I don’t want you to be mad at me,” Jason confesses, looking sincere.

The heart that I have been working so much to harden had softened once more. I’m scared that someday it’s going to just split open. “I want you around too. I’ll help you, I promise, I’ll do whatever I can.”

Jason leaned over the table and kissed me, right there in front of everybody. Not our most enchanting kiss we’ve ever had, but just knowing that he was still sticking around with me made it just right.

“Visiting hours are over!” mumbled a security guard, which was followed by an echo of angry groans and complaints. One came and hoisted Jason up by one of his arms, dragging him back into the cell. I stood there watching, helpless. Kathy needs to come up with the bail money. Fast.

As I pull into the driveway, I scan the neighborhood for my dad’s silver car, which as I suspected, isn’t there. I really can’t wait to get the hell out of here.

I definitely need to talk to Kathy about how much money she’s collected so far. On my way to her room, I glance out the window. The mail man still hasn’t came through yet, but I’m on the edge of my seat to find out if they mailed my paternity test results yet.