01 ; princess and sunshine

Start from the beginning

Half a laugh fell from Seth's lips. "You're screwed."

"Oh, bite me, Sunshine," she grumbled.

He leaned even closer to her. "You first."

She shoved his forehead away.

"Alright!" Ms. Reed said as she walked to the front of the class. "We only have thirty minutes left, so let's get moving—Hey! Clearwater! Turn around. I'm not telling you again."

Seth blew Billie a kiss and begrudgingly faced the front of the class. It was the same routine over and over, and Billie was way past sick of it.

"Benally, you're first," Ms. Reed said, sitting at an empty desk in the front.

After five or so presentations, Billie's name was finally called.

Seth turned around and grinned. She could tell he was already anticipating her demise and reveling in it. She stood, gathered the broken wing, and walked to the front of the room.

She looked into the blank-faced crowd and sighed. Her eyes shot toward Seth as she heard his muffled laughter. His hand covered his mouth, and his shoulders shook with silent giggles.

Billie reluctantly stated, "The Sopwith Camel—"

"Hold on," Ms. Reed said once she looked up. She took her glasses off her nose. "What is this? You had a week to finish this project, and this is the best you could come up with?"

She shifted her weight and looked at the disfigured plane. "My locker mate crushed it," she said with a shrug.

"Your locker mate crushed it," she repeated doubtfully. "Mhmm," she said, her attention already shifted. She scribbled on the paper and rotated it to the bottom of the pile. "Yes, well, your carelessness is reflected."

"Wait--" Billie said.

"Seth, you're up," Ms. Reed continued.

"No, sit down, Seth," Billie said, pointing at his chair.

"Yes, ma'am."

Quiet laughter filled the room, but all Billie felt was anger. Ms. Reed always had it out for her. "I completed the project. You can see it right here," she defended and held out the plane for emphasis. "It's not like I skipped it. I'll re-do it tonight and present again tomorrow."

"No re-dos. You all know that," Ms. Reed said patronizingly.

Billie scoffed. She continued to stare at Ms. Reed, fighting to keep all the vile things from shooting out of her lips. Her sister didn't have time to attend another conference to discuss Billie's behavior. The school has long since stopped giving her a pass after her parents' accident four years ago.

Ms. Reed placed her pen down and raised an eyebrow.

Billie looked at the class and saw varying expressions: sympathy, amusement, and boredom. When she glanced at Seth, she could've sworn a glare was present, but it was wiped off when he made eye contact with her. Instead, she was met with a taunting smile.

She clenched her jaw and raised her chin. She stepped forward and slammed the plane on an empty desk before turning on her heel and exiting the classroom to avoid doing something she'd regret.

***

Billie skipped the rest of her classes and hid out in her car. The only reason she stuck around all day was because she needed to drive Paul home. And the only reason she wasn't busted was because she knew the hall monitor.

She spent her time either napping or scrolling through her photo gallery on her camera and planning her next photo outing.

She jumped in alarm when three knocks rapped against her window. The bell wasn't due to ring for another five minutes.