Lesson 11: Handshakes Aren't Always For A Good Purpose

Start from the beginning

"Isn't she a pretty girl Joe? Maybe you two could go out, have a proper relationship with someone for once." I heard Joe groan.

"Not Amber mum. She's pretty and all, but just not my type." He said. I blushed. Did he just call me pretty? I quickly left the house and ran to mine. I knocked on the door and my mum opened the door, letting me in.

I ran upstairs and into my room and jumped on my bed while squealing. Oh, my gosh Joe just called me pretty! I've never heard a boy call me pretty before! This calls for... COOKIE DOUGH!!

I skipped downstairs and into the kitchen, thankfully no-one was there. I quickly took some cookie dough out of my secret place. I grabbed a spoon and ran upstairs into my bedroom, smiling. I decided to call Selena and Alice and tell them about what happened. First Selena.

"What's up Amber?" She said when she answered. I stopped myself grinning like an idiot.

"Well, you know how Joe's my neighbour, I went there to give them the cupcakes my mum baked." I said, and sniffed.

"Your voice sounds croaky, and I'm sure your nose is red. Do you have a cold and how?" Selena asked. I rolled my eyes and sniffed again.

"That's another story for another day. Anyway, when I was walking to the door, I heard Joe's mum, Sarah say 'Isn't she a pretty girl Joe? Maybe you two could go out, have a proper relationship with someone for once' Then Joe said, 'Not Amber mum. She's pretty and all, but just not my type.'! Can you believe that?" I exclaimed.

"He said what?!" Selena replied. I frowned. "If Alice finds out she'll be furious, but being the good friend she is, she'll try and pretend she's not furious and just end up giving you dirty looks and being rude without telling us what's wrong." Selena explained. I shoved another spoon of cookie dough into my mouth and thought.

Alice is over Joe right? Okay, I just found out that they'd been dating for a month and she really liked him, but still. She wouldn't lie, would she? Wait, what if she was in... Nah.

I swallowed. "Selena, Alice is over Joe so why would she be angry if he called my pretty?" I asked, then realized how ridiculous I sounded.

"Okay Amber, if you'd just broken up with a jerk, and you and your best friends decided to get revenge. Then you suddenly find out that he's one of your best friend's neighbours and that he'd called her pretty. How would you feel?" Selena asked. I thought.

Furious. Upset. Betrayed. Furious.

"Okay Selena, you're right. But it would be better to tell Alice then for her to find out and know we'd kept something from her. Remember, she hates secrets." I said and Selena sighed.

"I see what you're talking about. We'll tell her at school." Selena said. I nodded.

"Okay, bye!" I said and ended the call.

I ate more cookie dough while thinking about random things. How would Alice react? What is Selena's brothers name? Why are whales called whales? Where the heck was Hugo?

Oh yeah, my dog!

I quickly walked out of my room and called for Hugo. He came running upstairs and when he saw me his tail waggled. I grinned at him.

"Come here, you cutie!" I said, stretching out my arms to him. He ran at me and tackled me to the ground, licking me. I laughed and he jumped off me and ran into my room.

"Okay Hugo, time to talk." I told him and sat down on my bed. He jumped on my bed at sat there too. I grinned at him.

"Okay, so there's this boy at my school called Joe Smith, and he's a jerk. Kind of, I mean when we was in the park he gave me his jumper, speaking of his jumper..." I said, and reached for Joe's jumper. I kept it where I wouldn't lose it, and looked back at Hugo. You know, most kids talk to their friends. Or their parents or teddy bears when something's bothering them.

I talk to my dog.

"So, he and Alice secretly went out, but he broke her heart and now we're getting revenge by pranking him. Oh, and he's pranking us back obviously. Oh, and he called me pretty!" I exclaimed, grinning. Hugo just looked at me, obviously not understanding a thing I was saying.

That's why I talked to him; he was such a good listener. Plus, he couldn't criticize me or make me feel guilty about something, sometimes.

Like, if I told him I'd robbed a bank, he's just look at me with that same blank expression every dog has. But if I told my mum, she'd shout at me and call the police, instead of listening to me explaining why I robbed a bank.

Anyway, I looked at Hugo who'd started barking, and I knew he was hungry.

"Come on, let's go and get you some food." I said and skipped downstairs, grinning like a fool.

Today's Lesson: Handshakes Aren't Always For A Good Purpose

******

(IGNORE THIS A/N)

Okay, I'm gonna get straight to the point.

Over 4000 Reads on this book = HAPPY DANCE!!

Under 100 votes = Falls to ground sobbing.

Under 20 comments = Faints.

I've ranted on and on about more people commenting but it's also the amount of votes. I mean seriously, under 100 votes? That makes me think that this story isn't really that good. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, because over 4000 reads is really good but there's way too many silent readers, and that's a problem.

Also, I really enjoy writing the chapters in this book and make sure that they're at least 2 pages long. I'm also one of those authors who takes their time to write author's notes and the end of each chapter, when I don't have to.

So, if you guys don't communicate with me, I won't communicate with you. There will be no more authors notes. And I love writing them, so this is kinda sad for me. I really don't want to seem rude and grumpy, I'm just upset.

At least you guys won't have to read me telling you to vote and comment all the time.

So, I've made my decision, and if there won't be any authors notes, the chapters might get shorter. But I might just right really short authors notes. I do feel guilty about doing this, bit it has to be done.

Ignore any mistakes, and bye. :(