Chapter 19

I'm not sure how long I spent studying the spellbook. The energizing power that radiated from the pages kept me engrossed in my reading and unaware of how much time was actually going by; that is until my phone began to ring in my back pocket. According to the clock on it I'd been up here for about 24 hours, but I didn't feel tired at all. If anything I felt empowered.

"What," I said in greeting.

"Elena and Jeremy are trying to kill Kol," Uncle Nik said without any preamble.

"I'm sorry?" I said, not sure if I had heard him correctly.

"I don't know if it's something Stefan and Elena have planned or not but I just got a rather frantic call from Kol himself and he seems to think it's one of my grand ideas. It's true I was going to have him daggered but this was not part of my agenda," he explained.

"So what you're telling me is that you've suddenly undergone a development of compassion and are concerned about someone's life other than your own?" I asked without much interest as I flipped a page to continue reading a spell that could zombie-fy a person.

"Now is not the time for your witty attitude," Uncle Nik growled in response, clearly losing the last bit of patience he might have had. "Something isn't right. Meet me at the Gilbert's." He hung up without saying another word.

I scoffed at his words as I tossed my phone over my shoulder with every intention of ignoring him, just for the purpose of doing so. I returned my attention to the page I was on and began reciting an incantation as I meditated to it. The only problem was it wasn't working the way it should because I wasn't focusing on it enough; half of my thoughts were wandering back to when Uncle Kol was telling me that if I wasn't going to stop them from raising Silas, he would. I knew he wasn't bluffing.

Several long seconds went by before I huffed and said, "Damn it!" before standing up and storming out of the attic. More than anything I was pissed simply because I was doing exactly what Uncle Nik wanted me to do, and I had every intention to make it very clear that I was going on my own terms and not his when I got there. Next to that I was pissed because I was doing exactly what I didn't want to do... again.

When I reached the front door and stepped outside I hit the pavement running. I had an odd amount of energy for not having slept the night before, but I wasn't too concerned as long as I didn't crash later, which I was likely to do. It's not like I was a stranger to the situation though so I really didn't care.

....Wow, I really don't care. I forgot how much dark magic erases your emotions. It's the closest I can get to turning off my humanity and I didn't realize how much my feelings have been clouding my judgment lately. I can finally think clearly on what I need to do without worrying about who will get pissed off or hurt in the process because I just don't care.

With both this realization and power pumping through me I felt unstoppable. That is until I finally met up with Uncle Nik at Elena's house.

He reached the front door just moments before I had and was standing in front of it staring blankly inside. Curiosity getting the best of me, I came to his side and looked in and froze. I could literally feel ice travelling through my veins and eveloping my heart.

Through the front door I could see into the kitchen where my uncle Kol's quieting screams could still be heard as his burning body was still flailing around with the White Oak stake protruding out of his chest. It only took seconds before he went completely still and quiet, the only sound the crackling of the flames that continued to devour his corpse.

I know Uncle Nik started talking, no, he was yelling and probably asking what in the hell had happened, but I wasn't listening. I couldn't. What I could do, was feel again, and there were no words to describe the anger and hate that were exploding inside of me.