Ch.19 Ready?

He had tried and tried. But all of his efforts had been in vain. Though his first idea had included involving the elf in her tomb he had reconsidered and attempted the find a comatose human body that Zahra could then occupy. The problem was that the body had to have a magical core and there simply weren't comatose young girls available. He had even tried abroad but now - only two weeks before September 1st - he had to let go of his reluctance and take advantage of the situation.

Harry had stayed back in London with Syl, Kreacher and Citala while only Caelum and Zahra had returned to Egypt. He knew that the result could be potentially disastrous and he did not want to endanger Harry unnecessarily. He had kept it a secret from everyone in his family but he had dropped for a visit in Gringotts and arranged his will. It was a precaution. He had already destroyed one horcrux and if Voldemort should ever discover this he would make it to the top of his killing list.

Even if he had killed the Voldemort of his original world, there were no guarantees that he could repeat the feat here. The Dark Lord was dangerous to the nth degree and in a fight anything could happen. Nothing could be taken for granted and though he had not even been a mage nor had his wandless magic when he had killed Voldemort he simply did not know if this world was the same in that aspect. It could be that this world's Dark Lord was weaker. But then again it could mean that he was a hundred times more powerful.

He simply did not know.

"Come on." He gathered Zahra in his arms. "Ready to Apparate?"

After feeling the Genie nod against his chest he concentrated on the feeling of the tomb, on the outstanding sight that had for a moment stolen his breath away and let his magic carry them away to their destination.

Of course they ended up on the edges of the Anti-Apparition wards but it was a short walk to the innermost chamber. The traps in the mural chamber had already been triggered and in the second chamber the quicksand was easy to follow.

As far as he could see nothing had changed during his absence. Though it had been months ago in this remnant of the ancient world the time seemed to stand still. The sand had piled against the pillars that reached high to the ceiling that bore the only marks of time's effect on this place. But still, even then, the cracks seemed to belong, bringing an even more authentic feel to this place.

And in the middle of the room was the glass coffin. Within it lay the High Elf, Daughter of Yelvyn.

"She's beautiful," Zahra whispered, awed. "Is it alright? I... This place seems... sacred."

He did not know what to answer at first. Absentmindedly he now noticed that the vines on which she lay were actually magically crafted rubies. Same in the pillars and on the walls. Silver and jewels on the coffin.

"She was left here by her people. Her spirit is gone and this is... a shrine. I do not know who she was." Caelum took a step closer and laid his hand over glass. The magic made his palm tingle. "But I do know that our need is great and that if the Fates exist, they must deal with this decision as I cannot think of anything else. And you are part of our family. I cannot think of another way to protect you."

Zahra came to stand by him. The sand crunched beneath her boots and she had a small smile on her face. "I am going to be so beautiful."

"Remember the changes that occur after the blood adoption. At the least I think your hair colour will change. I hope it is not the eyes as mine and Harry' eyes are quite distinctive."

"I was hoping I could get them..."

"We better get started." Caelum began pulling various items out of non-place. Zahra's bottle, two ceremonial athames, a wine bottle, a silver cup and a small bottle of clear liquid. Also, the Staff appeared and hovered above them, its green light mixing with the light of Caelum's earlier Lumos Maxima.