Chapter 2 - People Change:

Chapter Two – People Change:

I  couldn’t  work  out  who  this  lady  was,  that  is  until  I  spotted  him...

Looking  over  Emily’s  shoulder  towards  the  moving  van,  my  eyes  fell  on  the  silhouette  of  a  muscular  teenage  guy,  arms  piled  high  with  boxes  as  he  lifted  them  from  the  back  of  the  truck.  There  was  no  mistaking  who  it  was.  Even  now  after  four  years,  I  still remember  those  same  blue  eyes. 
Sudden  realisation  hit  me,  my  new  neighbour  was  none  other  than  Ben Fletcher;  my  former  best  friend.
I  stood  there  for  a  second  in  silent  awe  at  the  guy  standing  in front  of  me;  muscles  rippled  in  his  arms  as  he  wiped  his  brow.  Yeah,  I  got  the  wish  of  a  hot  neighbour  so  I  guess  sleep  can  wait.  But  yet,  he  was  far  from  the  scrawny  kid  who  had  left  four  years  ago,  almost  unrecognisable  in  appearance  except  those  same  blue  eyes  that  I  could  never  forget;  at  least  puberty  had  been  kind  to  one  of  us.
When  I  say  former,  it  isn’t  like  we  had  this  huge  falling  out  or  argument,  no,  nothing  like  that.  In  fact  Ben  Fletcher  had  been  my  best  friend  for  as  long  as  I  could  remember  when  his  family  decided  to  move  away  for  a  reason  I  can’t  quite  remember,  if  I’m  honest  Ben  was  my  only  friend.
Starring  at  him  in  amazement,  I  found  my  mind  fill  with  memories,  each  one  coming  flashing  back  to  me  followed  by  a  wave  of  emotion.  One  of  my  earliest  memories  with  Ben  had  been  that  summer  in  fourth  grade  when  we  decided  it  would  be  a  good  idea  to  build  a  fort  out  the  back  of  my  house.  To  say  my  mother  wasn’t  happy  with  the  fact  we  used  ‘the  good  linen’  to  make  it  would  be  an  understatement.  It  did  however,  lead  to  my  father  building  a  fantastic  treehouse  in  the  large  oak,  so  I  guess  the  linen  was  a  sacrifice  that  had  to  be  made. 
As  we  grew  up,  Ben  and  I  had  grown  closer  and  closer,  he  was  my  best  friend  who  I  could  tell  anything  too  while  I  was  the  friend  who  seemed  to  complain  a  lot.  We  all  have  one.  We  were  inseparable,  that  was  until  his  announcement  in  the  summer  of  twelfth  grade  that  he  was  moving.
Why  did  he  move  again?  I  found  myself  asking  as  I  rattled  my  brain  for  answers  and  then  it  struck  me,  his  dads  job.  His  dad  had  been  a  very  successfully  property  developer  and  scoring  that  property  contract  in  another  state  had  meant  everything  to  him;  so  much  so  that  he  would  uproot  his  family  and  move  there  for  it.  Subsequently  causing  me  to  lose  my  best  and  only  friend,  but  I  guess  I’m  just  being  selfish.  
Strangely,  however,  I  don’t  see  Mr.  Fletcher  around  today,  maybe  he  was  just  working?  I’m   not  so  sure  that  was  the  case, I  mean, wouldn’t  you  want  to  be  there  when  moving  into  a  new  home?  So  I  found  the  question  flow  from  my  tongue  involuntarily.
“Where  is  Mr.  Fletcher?”  I  asked  nobody  in particular,  suddenly  realising  that  Emily  and  my  mother  were  still  standing  there  chatting  about  who  knows  what;  if  I  knew  my  mother,  probably  sharing  gossip  about  the  neighbours  new ‘fancy  man’.
“Samantha!”  My  mother  scolded  me  as  she  attempted  to  divert  attention  from  the  question  that  she  too  was  probably  longing  to  know  the  answer  of,  “Apologise  for  being  so  rude  and  nosey!”
“I’m  sorry…”  I  told  Emily  sheepishly  as  I  folded  my  arms  against  my  pink  dressing  gown  in  some  sort  of  pitiful  hope  that  the  ground  would  swallow  me  up.  Yeah,  that  never  happened. Instead  we  were  left  subject  to  some  sterile  silence  as  Emily  simply  smiled  back  at  me  assuredly  letting  me  know  it  was  all okay.  
Again  I  found  my  mind  wandering  back  to  thoughts  of  the  day  Ben  had  left  four  years  ago  and  how  much  it  had  hurt  to  lose  your  best  friend.  I  remembered  how  I  had  gotten  into  an  even  bigger  slump  than  the  time  my  mother  had  grounded  me  for  putting  salt  in  her  coffee,  causing  me  to  miss  the  circus,  although  admittedly  she  had  drank  the  whole  thing  before  she  realised  so  probably  had  a  right  to  be  pissed.
Truth  of  the  matter  was,  Ben  had  been  my  only  true friend  and  without  him,  even  now  four  years  later,  I  had  no one;  so  long  as  we  don’t  count  the  resident  stalker  Neil  Power.  I  found  myself  excluded  and  subsequently  bullied  by  the ‘cool kids’  for:  not  being  pretty  enough,  writing  to  neat,  once  having  braces  and  even  for  getting  good  exam  grades,  to  name  but  a few.  The  list  was  endless.
Unlike  me,  Ben  seemed  to  have  flourished  in  the  past  four  years.  He  had  gone  from  the  glasses  wearing  shy  guy  to  teen  heart-throb  in  next  to  no  time.  Some  people  have  all  the  luck.  But  one  thing  was  for  sure,  I  was  glad  to  see  my  best  friend  back  again,  at  least  now  senior  year  might  be  just  a  little  bit  more  enjoyable.
I  watched  as  Ben  made  his  way  back  to  the  van,  no  doubt  to  pick  up  more  boxes  with  his  muscular  arms.  As  he  turned  his  attention  in  our  direction  I  found  my  body  freeze up.  Ben  Fletcher  was  looking  at  me.  Wait,  was  I  fan-girling  over  my  childhood  best  friend?  I’m  going  to  blame  that  on  my  lack  of  sleep. 
Using  every  fibre  in  my  body  to  overcome  the  shyness  and  pure  social  awkwardness  that  was  running  through  my  body  in  that  moment,  I  smiled  invitingly  at  Ben,  giving  him  a  half-wave  with  my  hand. Instead  of  waving  back,  Ben  turned  his  head  sharply  in  the  complete  opposite  direction,  refusing  to  even  look  at  me.  I  was  in  shock.
I  mean,  I  fully  understand  that  right  now  it  looked  like  bees  had  taken  to  nesting  in  my  hair  and  that  my  fluffy  pink  robe  wasn’t  going  to  be  winning  any  fashion  awards,  but  the  least  he  could  do  was  acknowledge  my  existence, right?
“Don’t  worry  about  Ben”  Emily  told  me,  “He  can  be  hard  work  sometimes,  he  probably  just  needs  some  time  to  settle  in,  he’ll  come  round.”  She  attempted  to  reassure  me,  clearly  noticing  the  shocked  and  also  slightly  hurt  look  that  had  found  its  way  onto  my  face. 
“Boys  will  be  boys”  My  mother  interjected  with  a  chuckle,  but  that  was  not  what  I  wanted  to  hear.  The  guy  who  was  once  my  best  friend  was  now  ignoring  me  for  no  good  reason  whatsoever;  that’s  not  an  example  of  ‘boys  will  be  boys’ , that’s  an  example  of  someone  being  a  complete  dickweed.
It  was  clear  to  me  that  a  whole  load  more  had  changed  that  just  Ben’s  looks  in  the  past  four  years.  Rather  than  being  the  sweet  kid  who I  had  once  spend  every  waking  hour  with  playing  pretend  in  the  treehouse,  he  had  become  the  one  thing  that  I  had  hoped  he  never  would;  a  self-righteous  jerk.
My  head  swirled  with  questions  as  I  made  my  way  back  towards  the  house,  most  importantly  though  was  the  one  that  found  itself  replaying  again  and  again  in  my  head.  Why  had  Ben  changed  and  could  we  ever  be  friends  again?

Jdot: Thanks for the contiued support on all my Wattpad stories, you guys are awesome! Be sure to comment, rate and follow to let me know what you guys think of my work! :) New Update will come soon :D