District 4

I wake up the next morning with a killer headache. I think there's something important on today... Not quite sure what though. I decide that it can't be that important go upstairs and check on Jack. Hopefully dad didn't harm him last night.

As I start to get closer to his room I hear someone crying. I pick up the pace and grab the key to his room out of my pocket. When I get there he's still in bed and there are tears streaming down his face. I walk over and sit next to him. "What's wrong?" I'm thinking it has something to do with mum or dad. It doesn't look like dad got to him last night which is good.

"The reaping is today and I'm gonna get chosen, I just know it." The Reaping. That's what's important today. "You're not gonna get reaped, ok?" I'm trying to convince myself that as well as Jack. "How do you know?" He started to sit up now, and the tears stopped streaming down his face. "Because I have a feeling, and I know you'll be ok."

I have a feeling I'm going to be reaped. I don't know why, I just do. "Ok, let's get ready." I walked over to his closest and got out his nice clothes. This is the second time he's worn them. The first was mums funeral.

"You can go and wash up first, I'll go after you." I was just about the leave the room when he replied, "What do I do if I get chosen?" I was a little taken back by his question. "You're not going to get chosen, ok?" I knew he still didn't believe me. "Ok."

I left and went to my room. I went to my cupboard and got out my nice clothes. There for the same purpose as Jacks. The Reaping and mums funeral. Mum's funeral. It was one of the safest days of my life. It was the one day when our father acted like one. And we saw our mothers parents, we had never meet them before. She never said why though. I guess that one thing I'll never find out.

A couple of minute later there's a knock on my door. Jack sticks his head in. "I'm done." His hair was still wet with water. "Ok, thanks." I give him a reassuring smile. He smiles back and he leaves.

I walk over to the bathroom with my nice clothes in hand. It's not the nicest bathroom in the world, there are small holes in the wall so cold air gets in and then the water that goes into the tub is cold as well. At least the tub is a good size. I start to run the water into the tub and hop in. After I'm done its kind of a rush to get dry fast because the water is freezing and the wind isn't helping.

It's 10:30 and the reaping starts at 11 o'clock. It will take about 20 minutes to walk there. So once I'm dressed I go and check on Jack. He's sitting on his bed.

I sit next to him and ask him if he's ready. He takes a deep breath. "Yea, let's go." He sounds confident, but I know on the inside he's dying. "Ok." I hold Jack's hand and we walk down stairs in silence. Our dad is sitting in the couch.

This is the only time in the year when he doesn't act like the 'father' he really is. "You guys ready?" He walks over to us. My grip on Jack's hand tightens and he gives my hand a reassuring squeeze. "Yea, let's go."

I start towards the door and he stands in front of me. "I hope you've learnt not to lie to me now." What did he want out of me?

"Yes, I have." If I said no I would get it when we get home and I didn't need that when Jack needed me. I push past him and pull Jack with me. We walk towards the town square where the Reaping will take place.

When we get there its time for us to split up so we can check in. "Ok Jack. They just need to take a bit of your blood so they know it's you, ok?" He nodded his head. "Ok."

"I'll see you soon, ok? I promise." He nodded his head and walked over to the boys sections. I walk to where the girls sign in. When I get to the front the lady asks for my hand. She pricks it with a zapper and presses it against her book. "Ok." She says and I leave.

I go toward the girl section and stand between 2 girls who look about my age. The one on my right has blonde hair and from what I can remember at school, no one likes her. The girl on my left is the opposite. She has black hair and lots of friends. Scarlet, our escort, taps the microphone a couple of times before she starts talking. "Welcome welcome! Happy Hunger Games and may the Odds Be Ever in your Favour!"

"Now, before we begin, we have a special message brought to you all the way from the capitol." The video plays. It's the same every year.

Talks about the rebellion, how we then 'rose' from the ashes, and that each year a 'sacrifice' must be made. A young male and female from each district was to fight to the death in what was called the Hunger Games. How fascinating (note the sarcasm).

"That was wonderful. Now, as always, ladies first." She walks over to the bowl that contains all the names of every 12-18 year old girl. She plucks a name as walks back over to the microphone. I can hear her heels from here. It'll be me. I just know it.

"Johanna Mason!"

A/N:

Check out the picture of 'Scarlet'

That's basically how I imagine her - a red Effie.

Let me know what you think :)