Chapter 2

Pain ripped through me as the crack of the whip came down on my back. I opened my mouth to scream out in pain but nothing came out. Another crack, followed by another. I opened my eyes to look down at the wooden chair they had me lean up against. The wearing of it got into my hands and under my nails as I squeezed the chair harder with every whip, hoping that I'll squeeze so hard, the chair will break into a million splinters and shoot everywhere, killing the two men whipping me. Darkness surrounded me again as I squeezed my eyes shut again and another crack sounded, but no pain came. My eyes shot open in shock only to be met with eyes that match my own.

I looked away from my face, not being able to bear to look at it myself, but I was only met with more of me. I started running, trying to escape this labyrinth, this misery, but to no avail. Every turn I made was just a new hallway of mirrors. I heard the glass shatter as I hit a mirror with my fist. I looked down to see blood and glass infused in my knuckles then looked up to see millions of little me looking back. But upon further inspection, I noticed they weren't me. The man staring back looked like me, had my same colorful mixture of eyes, but I had a full face. I turned around to get a better look at this man when I heard singing, beautiful singing. I turned and followed the sound hoping that it would lead me through my way of the labyrinth. As I got closer it got louder.

I woke up in a cold sweat, panting for air. My lungs felt tight and the room was too closed in. I pushed the covers from on top of my legs and sung them over the side of the bed, feeling the fluffy black carpet that lay underneath. I stood up and looked at the clock. Quarter after four. Deciding that there was no going to sleep after that, I started to get ready. I went into my closet, which had a different array of clothes until you reached the very right, where there were a number of white dress tops, black suits and slacks, and a dark violet cravat. I grabbed one of those outfits and threw them over my bed, turning up the oil lamp so I could see what I was doing.

After getting entirely dressed, I walked down the little amount of steps I had, through my living room, and into my kitchen where I made myself a hot cup of lemon water, soothing for the voice, and a nice wake me up. I sat down at the small table I had sitting in between the living area and my kitchen, and started reading the morning paper I got off the Populaires steps while I was waiting for the water to boil. Nothing interesting has happened, nothing interesting ever happens. Once I finished my tea, I walked up the steps again and into my music room.

I sat down at the piano and pulled out the score for Don Juan Triumphant and started playing the loud and dark chords. After I played each one, I could still hear the chords reverberating throughout my underground layer.

It's loud, I know that, but to me, it sounds like a near masterpiece, a near masterpiece because something's missing. Something is always missing, and I can never place what it is. There's an emptiness in it. I always try to fill that with more runs, a new instrument, a new part, but nothing works. I sigh but keep playing, ignoring the hole that only I may hear.

Time went flying, I don't know how or when, but soon the clock chimed and I shot up from my seat, music flying with me. I had forgotten about the day, I hadn't eaten, hadn't watched to make sure Mr. LeFevre hadn't messed anything up. Though I must admit, he is quite good at running an Opera house, not perfect, but good. I ran into my kitchen to grab an apple to eat while I walked at a gingerly pace through the narrow passageways.

As I walked, I could feel the musty air as it flew past my face, then it hit me, at some point in time today, I had taken my mask off and hadn't realized it. I stopped dead in my tracks.

I couldn't go back, it would take too much time. I was already as late as it is, going back would only shorten her lesson time.

Though maybe she'll be late today and that would give me just enough time.