Chapter 7 - Scorched

Start from the beginning

A sudden panic gripped her. “What are we going to do?” She cried, dangerously close to hysteria. Her lips began to quiver and she held onto Raul for support. Her legs felt weak beneath her.

“Not stand here and burn up, that’s for sure.” Raul replied and Gino began to bark, edging away from the door and closer to the couple.

As if the fire was taunting Raul’s words, the flames roared at the doorway and began licking their way menacingly towards the trio.

Nadia was sobbing in his arms, her face turned towards the entire collection of wine bottles. Her heart was broken at the thought of the Angelus treasure that would soon be destroyed.

“We are going to get out of this.” He spoke looking around the room.

Again, as if to mock him further, the fire swallowed up a small crate and instantly, an explosion rocked the room, causing Nadia to scream. Both of them fell to the floor with Gino whining and tucking himself next to them.

“What are we going to do now?” Nadia whispered fearfully, not just for her life but for Raul’s and Gino’s as well.

But Raul didn’t answer. He was too busy thinking.

“Gino,” she patted her thigh, urging him to come to her.

Gino turned around and saw the worry in her eyes. He ran to her and let her hug him. “I’m sorry, boy. I should have chased you out earlier but I was too concerned with the wine.”

Gino placed his right front paw on her shoulder and began to lick Nadia’s cheeks. He knew his mistress’ heart fully well. She would never put him in danger.

“There!” Raul pointed to a steel tap that ran from somewhere beneath the floor and the two pails next to it.

“No, Raul.” Nadia coughed. “We can’t, there is no way we can get out through here.” She coughed again. “I don’t even know if the pipes are still working.”

“Take off your cardigan!”

She looked at him but in a beat, obediently took off her cardigan. He ran to the tap and turned on the water. Not even a trickle of water dripped. Raul’s face fell and he glanced back at her. Their eyes met, speaking to each other to stay calm.

With her arm still around Gino’s body, Nadia uttered a silent prayer. “Oh Diu, help us. This is my entire fault. Save Raul and Gino. If there’s anyone who should perish, let it be me, not them.”

“Raaf!” Gino barked at her. He knew what she had said but began to pull on her dress, his body edging in Raul’s direction. The fire was closing in on them. It wouldn’t take long for it to reach them.

“Merda!” Raul cursed and kicked the tap.  He looked around. Before them were the orange fierce flames, on their way to the wine bottles.

Suddenly, Gino’s head turned and he began barking at Raul’s legs. Raul felt it first before he saw it. He looked down. The water was flowing from the tap. Breathing a sigh of relief, he bent and soaked Nadia’s cardigan under the running water. When it was thoroughly wet, he grabbed Nadia and pressed the cardigan to her lower face. She got the hint and pressed it to her face. The fumes, if inhaled excessively, were potent enough to kill, faster than the flames themselves.

Raul heaved the bucket full of water at the wall behind the tap, the one from where the crate had exploded. Grabbing the next pail of water he splashed onto the waters.

“We can try to hold it down.” He shouted as Nadia ran to grab the pail from him and Gino picked up the other bucket of water between his teeth and carried it as fast as he could to Raul.