Chapter #1

Evana

"So you see dear, we are a perfect match in all areas...."

Evana suppressed a yawn while the man blabbered on and on why they are so compatible with each other. She rolled her eyes inside her mind, this one is the worst among all the men she met for potential matchmaking so far. Why she gets stuck in these marriage meetings, again and again, she asked herself. But she already knows the answer to that, she just can't say no to her grandmother. The only person in this world she values more than herself. For some reason, her grandmother became insistent that she needs to marry and have a family no matter how much she tried to tell her that she doesn't want to. In the end, she just gave up to her and agreed to meet the guys that her grandmother thinks suitable for her to marry. So far all that achieved is to make her more certain why she doesn't want to marry in the first place.

"You see once we merge our companies and I became the CEO, you don't need to worry about the business side at all. You can just relax at home." Her potential suitor's current words brought Evana back from her thoughts.

"I'm sorry what merger?"

"The merger of our company dear."

"Who said anything about a merger?"

"Of course a merger is necessary darling. It will be much easier for me to run both the companies."

"First of all, I am not your darling. Second of all, there will be no merger, marriage or no marriage. I have no intention to sit back at home and relax while some idiot tries to run my company for me. I will be running my company as the CEO and marriage with anyone will not change that." Evana informed the guy sitting in front of her.

"Did you just call me an idiot?" The guy whose name Evana can't even remember asked her outrageously.

"Well you certainly didn't do anything so far for me to call you smart," she replied in a flat voice.

"In that case, I think we are not suitable enough for marriage," the man said smugly thinking it might cause Evana to rethink.

"I'm glad that we both agree to that. Thank you for your time." Evana stood up and took out enough cash out of her purse to cover the bill with tip and turned around to leave.

"You know when I first saw you I thought the rumors are false. But now that I have met you I can definitely vow that every single one of them is true. You are as cold as the ice. I feel pity for the guy who gets to marry you. He might freeze to death in your marriage bed."

The old Evana would have felt hurt at that jab but this Evana became immune to these a long time ago.

"At least he would manage to survive until the marriage. The same can't be said for you who couldn't even manage half an hour with me," she casually replied to the douchebag and walked away from the restaurant without a second glance. 

***********************************************************************

Kairan

"So gentleman and ladies, I want all the work that we just discussed finished within two weeks before our next general meeting. I will be expecting a progress report from each of you then."

Uneasy murmurs broke throughout the room with the thought of impending workload for the upcoming weeks.

"If anyone of you has any problem with it then he or she can visit me in my office along with their resignation letter to discuss it."

Whatever murmuring was going on died down instantly. Kairan James stared down towards the people he was speaking and after a minute he added, "So no problems?"

When he received a pin-drop silence from the room he nodded satisfactorily, "I thought so. Meeting dismissed."

After exiting the meeting room he can hear the murmuring break through again most probably cursing him and complaining to each other but he didn't care a bit. In this business, one can't afford to care about comfortable work schedule if one wants success. Working as the CEO of the overseas branch of his fathers' company for 5 years he learned that first hand. It's not that he is demanding work for free. Every employee of this company receives a higher amount of salary and benefits compared to the same positions in other similar companies. That's why people prefer a position in this company even after his infamous reputation as the CEO.

"I heard the boss just announced another workathon for us for preparation of the upcoming deal."

"Oh man, not again. Doesn't he need rest?"

"Apparently rest is a word that is not found in the devil's vocabulary."

"Man, whoever came up with that nickname for the boss deserves a medal, it's so fitting."

"Indeed it is. By the way, did you hear the other rumor about him?"

"Which one? There are so many."

The guy lowered his voice dramatically and whispered to his colleague, "The one where it says he killed his ex-fiance for cheating on him and..."

The new employee froze in mid-sentence when he noticed the topic of their conversation just walked passed them. Both of them instantly became pale with fear.

Kairan kept walking without even acknowledging them. He had heard all those rumors and the name his employees call him behind his back countless times. The cold-hearted devil, that is the full title actually. To be honest he kind of like it. It generates a fear among his employees and with fear comes respect which ultimately works in his favor.

Once upon a time, a younger Kairan would have been horrified to be given such a title but he died a long time ago. This Kairan likes the title and proudly does things that the cold-hearted devil was supposed to do.

He came back to his office and poured a cup of coffee from the jug. As he started to take a sip his cell phone buzzed suddenly. Kairan became a little startled to see his father was calling him. He never called him during office time unless it's an emergency. Quickly he received the phone.

"Dad, what happened?"

"Kairan we need you. You need to come home son." 

To be continued...

Author's note: 

Hey dear readers,

I'm back with a new story. Although this is not a typical fanfiction I hope you will find the story interesting. I did keep two specific actors in mind as the characters of Evana and Kairan when I thought about this story. As this is a unique story and not based on any previous drama or movie so I don't know how it will end up but I hope you guys enjoy the journey.

Curious about how Kairan and Evana became the way they are now? Find out in the next chapter where their backstory will be revealed.

with love

oodrishsho