"Way too old for you."

"You're not," Naomi said.

Val drew letters on Naomi's leg, running her fingertips over the thin leggings. "Don't say things like that when you don't how it makes me feel; I think it's time for you to get off, unless you want me to get turned on. "

"Shouldn't happen if you're not gay," Naomi fired back.

"You don't have to be gay to get aroused by intimacy," Val said coolly. "Get off."

"It depends on whether or not you'll return the hoody to me." Naomi pointed the gun at Val's chest.

Val said, "It's mine."

"It was yours, but I've had it for over a year, so now it's mine." A wicked grin spread across Naomi's lips. "Now hand it over."

"Is that how this works? Then if I take something of yours for a year, it's mine." A pleasant smile appeared on Val's lips. "Alright, get off me, I'll give it back to you. But I want the necklace you're wearing."

The necklace was a gift from Naomi's mom- a silver crescent adorned with diamonds. She unconsciously thumbed it. Val held out her hand. Naomi said, "If you give me yours." She wanted to trade something important for something of equal value, a sort of deal that bound them together whether Val realized it or not.

Val took off hers. An obsidian arrowhead clung to a black chain. She pressed it into Naomi's palm. Naomi didn't want to be so impersonal. She unlocked the chain from her own neck and wrapped it around Val's neck, her fingers grazed Val's skin as she clasped it at the back. She tucked the pendant into Val's shirt. "There," Naomi whispered.

"Yeah." Val removed the hoody, revealing the purple shirt beneath. Naomi took it, happy to have it back in her possession. The perilous nature of what she had done lingered in the air surrounding them as the seconds dragged on. Naomi knew she was toeing the line between being friends and something else, but she didn't know how to return to what they were. She wasn't sure if she wanted to. They stood up, Val wrapped her arms around Naomi's waist and pressed her chest against Naomi's back, she held Naomi tight. "Don't turn around," Val whispered, her voice shaking from the overwhelming emotion she felt.

Naomi held Val's hand, losing her bearings in the passionate embrace. It choked her. It made everything before that point mean nothing. Val placed her head in the crook of Naomi's neck. Naomi felt warm drops of liquid run down her skin and slip down the collar of her shirt. When Val let her go, Naomi whirled on her, but in the dimness of the hall, she couldn't make out whatever tortured expression was reflected in the girl's eyes. She knew Val was pouting due to the faint downturn of her mouth. Naomi felt an unexpected desire to touch it and feel Val's lips pressed against hers. Val's countenance stopped her. Val was sad again. Naomi sighed. As of late, Val's mood had been fluctuating between the two extremes- either playful and happy or sad and withdrawn.

"I have to go," Val said.

"It's alright, my mom won't be home for another hour or so. You can stay."

Val said, "No, I have to go. I have something to do." She started for the door. "I'll see you."

"Coward." Naomi's voice travelled further than she expected it to. Val froze in the midst of the hallway, a few feet from the door. Day after day, Naomi and Val were playing this vicious game of hot and cold and it was wearing down Naomi's mind, driving her insane. She didn't want to play anymore.

Val didn't turn around. "What did you say?"

"Don't pretend you didn't hear me." 

"I shouldn't have come," Val said, "I'm such a fucking fool." She didn't look back at Naomi. She didn't see the tears running down Naomi's face. She didn't register the other girl's pain.