Chapter Thirty Six

Start from the beginning

The way led outside, and I made sure to casually stroll away from the others before I quickly found somewhere secluded nearby to strip and shift. After, my panic eased and my actions settled in.

Excitement bubbled, but fear was what shoved it down. It was that same fear that kept me from howling in happiness and jumping around. It wasn't my life I feared for, but Kendall's reaction if he found out.

It was clear he wasn't going to be happy; he'd be furious. It would only worsen if he somehow managed to unmask the two anonymous guards. This was an act of defiance and betrayal.

I knew Kendall and I weren't serious, which I was more than fine with, but I wasn't sure how I would act if he rejected me. With Nolan, rejection had been a player on both sides, not just his. It had been hell to deal with, but I'd made it.

I still wanted Kendall and I didn't plan on that changing anytime soon. I was becoming dangerously attached to him emotionally. I may joke, tease, and snap at him, but in the end, we were fine. If Kendall found out, rejection would play against me, not for.

I walked back into the palace, hoping Nolan would grab a hold of the uniform before the others did since I'd left it exactly where he told me to. I was also hoping the growing guilt and worry would leave my system sooner than later.

The second I stepped foot into the palace, I was noticed. "I've found the Protector! Escort her to Prince Gordon immediately," a guard barked and I huffed.

I didn't need them to escort me. I was capable of taking care of myself without the help of a couple of lousy humans. But the second I started walking, three guards were by my side, "escorting" me as told.

We found Kendall pacing in front of his officer door, surrounded by several guards, anger etched into his face. The guards were looking in every direction for danger, and I could hear one attempting to urge Kendall back into his office. Once those angry pools of ice landed on me, they thawed instantly.

He walked over to me quickly before he knelt down and wrapped his arms around my neck, burying his face in my coat of fur. I nipped his ear affectionately before running my snout along the side of his face and resting it on his shoulder.

"I was worried something had happened when I could not find you, love," he whispered, allowing a stream of guilt to seep in.

I reached and tugged on his hair with my teeth, lightening the mood. Kendall looked up with annoyance, running his hand over his hair several times as if it had been turned into a bird's nest.

My tongue rolled out of my mouth and the frown on Kendall's face increased as he stood back up. But his eyes sparkled with their familiar amusement, telling a different story.

"Why do I still bother with you?" Kendall muttered as we made our way to his office. His guards looked relieved when we entered, probably happy to have their precious Prince contained.

"Send the guards in when they have found something useful to me," Kendall instructed before closing the door, leaving us alone.

He walked over to the chair in front of his desk rather than his own and sat down. I noticed then just how tired he looked. Today had run him dry, and exhaustion seemed to be settling all over him. It made me wonder how often his duties bled him dry of everything.

I gave a low whine, catching his attention. Kendall showed me a weary smile before saying, "Come here, love."

I walked over to him, my head resting in his lap. We were like that for a while before Kendall went to sit on the floor, and I was practically in his lap, nuzzling him absentmindedly.