Chapter 4: The Territory and the Golden Stranger

Kaja nudged the sleeping form of Murphy. He stirred and raised a sleepy gray head, his eyes unfocused. They blinked for a second, then he stood, gently moving away from his sleeping mate so he didn't wake her. "Ready?" Kaja whispered. The two had agreed that Corra would stay and clear out some of the dens. Kaja was just glad she would have a more comfortable place to sleep, though last night hadn't been so bad. She felt well refreshed after a mercifully dreamless sleep, and itched to get her paws into the snow. Murphy nodded and pushed out of his den. Kaja leaped up, out of the entrance, up to the snow three feet above. She swung her head checking for scents. No wolves, but a faint trace of lynx. That could be dangerous, depending on if it was a mother lynx.

"Murphy, you called this place Moon Valley, right?" The male yawned, obviously still tired. "It's the most direct route of caribou and elk. Birds also nest around on the ground." He said, sniffing the air. The she-wolf nodded. Bird meat was very tender, but nesting birds would fight fiercely to protect their young. "How big is this land?" She asked. "About a day's journey to sun-rise, and two days sun-set. The valley it's self is about half a day's journey at a walk." Kaja sniffed the air once more, and could detect faint traces of hare and vole. "Lets head sun-rise today. We can hunt on the way back." The male wolf nodded, and the two shot off, heading towards the sun-rise side of the valley.

When the sun was half-way in the sky, Kaja and Murphy sat down, panting from their long, hard run. Kaja looked around for a source of water, and found a frozen marsh, water seeping to the top. A lucky find in the frozen tundra. "Murphy, over here." She looked up for the male wolf, but he was gone. The she-wolf ran up a crest of ice, then saw Murphy dashing after a hare. He caught it easily and turned triumphantly to Kaja, bringing his prize back. "Here. We need the strength if we're going to get all they way across the valley and today." They devoured the hare with famished gulps, then lapped up the water, resting on the cool snow while their legs rested.

"Kaja, where do you come from?" The question was innocent enough, but a tidal wave of emotions swept Kaja back to when she was in the pack. Running wild with Night and Angel, hunting with Naddy, fighting side by side with Hallows. All gone in the sea of blood left behind from the battles. "I-I came from.. I came from.." She could barely get the words out, her chest tight with sorrow and anger for what she had lost, and so much more."I come from the Torn Plains Pack." Murphy gasped. "The Torn Plains Pack?" Kaja looked away. Her old pack was famous for their insanity and fighting skills.

"Yes. We.. They aren't as insane as wolves think. They have a well organized pack. We just prized our fighting skills...." Kaja broke off, the pain of being chased away, almost killed, by the pack that had cherished and loved her overwhelming. Murphy nosed her gently, bringing her out of her waves of dispair and pain. "Why did you leave?" He asked quietly. "I didn't leave." Kaja murmured, sinking back into the depression threatening to drown her. Murphy opened his muzzle once more, but shut it again. To ask why, of course. But he was merciful and let it slide. "Kaja, lets go. We have to get back before sun-set tomorrow." They stood and raced off, opposite of the now setting sun.

The sky was a dazzling red-purple, but Kaja was too distracted with her thoughts to notice. What if Murphy and Corra found out? Would they shun her? What was she thinking, telling them? The questions replayed over and over in her head, until they sounded like a mocking chant. What were you thinking? What are you thinking?

"Kaja?" The she-wolf looked up at Murphy, realizing he had asked a question. "Uh, what did you say?" The gray wolf looked at her with pity. Stop! She wanted to shout. Kaja didn't want anyone's pity. "I asked if you wanted to rest." He said softly. Outrage surged within Kaja. "No. I don't need to rest!" She snarled. Murphy winced and Kaja felt immediately guilty. He didn't deserve her rage. "I'm sorry." She amended quietly. "But I'm fine. We can go on."