What the World Forgot.

Lola stalked down the hall, katana raised, her other hand outstretched, little tendrils of black energy reaching out,

sensing.

She rounded a corner, and walked into a dark room. It was medium sized, with dark wood floors, and black walls. The only source of light in the room, was a large floor to ceiling window, that was framed by long red curtains. There was a single wooden chair by the window.

And that was where Madam Nikolai sat, back rigid, staring out the window at the moonlit snow. A black backpack rested by her feet, a manilla folder on her lap.

"You came." Madam Nikolai whispered, almost sadly, and if possible, Lola tensed even more.

"I needed answers." She responded shortly.

Madam Nikolai sighed.

"Are you prepared to hear the whole story? From the very beginning, to the very end?" She said, turning to look Lola in her stormy grey eyes.

"If that's what it takes. But mark my words, as soon as you finish, I will kill you." Lola growled.

"I expected nothing less." Madam Nikolai said, before standing up, gesturing with the folder in her hands, to the chair.

"Please sit."

And though every fiber in her body screamed at her not to, Lola, and or Elizabeth, was compliant. She sheathed her Katana.

And she sat.

Madam Nikolai placed the folder in Lola's lap.

"Don't open it till I say so. Otherwise it won't make sense." Nikolai said.

Then she walked back towards the window, bony fingers tracing the window frame, gripping the fabric of the curtains, before she spoke.

"Once there was a little girl. Her father was a mad scientist, and her mother was a wicked witch. She was destined to become a villain.

That little girl was me.

My parents were an unlikely couple, one that didn't even last the length of my mother's pregnancy. My father was not one for attachments. His name was Arnim Zola." Madam Nikolai said with a sigh, and Lola gasped. She knew that name. How could you not? The famed scientist of the villainous HYDRA, right-hand man to the Red Skull.

"My mother's name was Madam B. This is a name you might not know. She was the headmistress of The Red Room Program. She raised your mother. You know, your mother and I knew each other very well. We were rivals, at the Red Room. If you asked her about a little girl named Zola, she would still recall who I was. She's probably made the connection who my father was, you know. I'm named after him." Madam Nikolai said, wistfully.

Lola was silent, with fear, and curiosity, before she whispered,

"You aren't as old as you look, are you?"

"Not at all. Same age as your mother. After my father left, and I was born, my mother simply submitted me into the program. She told no one that she was my mother, not even me, until I was 25. My mothers program was ruthless. It was designed a very specific way. You dance her choreography, or you die. Most often, for the girls that escaped, insanity got them in the end. Suicide. I'm still surprised that your mother had not befallen the same fate. But then again, she was always the strongest one there." Nikolai mused.

"Your point." Lola said, trying to urge her on.

"I'll get to it when I'm ready.
There was a sort of brainwashing system in the Red Room, to assure that you complied. To assure that you would get the job done, no matter what. You know it, it's the same one I submitted you to, when you first arrived here. Tell Elizabeth hello for me." Nikolai said, almost accusingly, spinning on the girl.

Lola's breath came heavily in her chest.

"How-how do you know about her? How..?"

"Don't be silly Lolana. I have the same problem. They refer to it as multiple personality disorder you know. A side affect of the conditioning. Two personalities, waging war inside your head, it's enough to drive someone mad." Nikolai said with a wild look in her eyes.

"Does everyone here have it?" Lola questioned, and Nikolai shook her head.

"Only the ones that were hardest to break."

"So- your mother screwed you over. What does this have to do with me?" Lola growled.

"Oh Lola, even though my mother permanently corrupted my mind, she didn't 'screw me over'. No, she left me a legacy. The Red Room Academy."

And as Lola heard the full name of The Academy for the first time, her breath hitched in her throat.

"And I made it great. I made it powerful. But there was something missing. My father had the Winter Soldier as his legacy, the fist of HYDRA. My mother had the Black Widow as her legacy, the Red Death. But I? I had nothing."

"So you decided to do something about it?" Lola questioned.

"Open the file for yourself. Take a look." Madam Nikolai said, and Lola flipped it open, and read what it said on the inside cover.

PROJECT L.O.L.A.N.A.

"It was quite simple really. Access my parents secret vaults, find the DNA samples that they had kept, the DNA samples from their legacies. Find my fathers leftover tesseract energy samples, hundreds of thousands of unused laser gun magazines, from World War Two. Siphon off the energy from all the bullets, and combine everything in a Petri dish with some sperm and an egg. Place it inside the surrogate, and wait 9 months. And then you were born!" Nikolai exclaimed, and Lola started to hyperventilate, flipping through the records in the file with shaking fingers.

There was typed records, detailing her powers. There were photos of what was obviously a young her. A young Lola, before she had been found by Coulson. This was the missing part of her past. The missing piece of the puzzle. But what scared Lola most of all, was the photos. One of The Black Widow, one of The Winter Soldier.

Her parents.