CHAPTER FOUR

I awoke the next morning feeling restless and without much sleep. My eyes opened to a hazy overcast of light rainfall tapping at my window. I pushed the covers off and rolled over onto my side as I slowly sat up and tried to get my act together. Today was going to be a long one, I could feel it. Once I managed the willpower to get up and go, the rest of my morning routine went without a hitch. I brushed my teeth, got dressed, had a waffle for breakfast and unplugged my phone from the wall as I powered it on.

When I saw that I had no new messages, I went in search of coffee when I heard a knock at the door. The time on my phone said 8:30. But who could be showing up here at this hour, I wondered. Seven steps were all it took to get from the kitchen to the door as I pushed back the security chain and unlocked the deadbolt. I turned the knob and the door swung open revealing a man in a classic black suit with neatly groomed facial hair. He was handsome to a fault with bluish green eyes and wavy dark hair.

"Can I help you?"

"Good morning, Mr. Middleton. My name is Carson. I'm the head of security for His Royal Highness, Prince Alexander. I was instructed to stop by and pick up some boxes."

"Oh yes, of course," I replied, stepping to the side and letting him in. "But I feel like I should warn you though, I really haven't finished packing yet as you can see. Honestly, I didn't think you would be showing up here today, I just wanted to know if there was some kind of address I could send my stuff to."

"I wouldn't worry about that all. Though I do have a suggestion if you will allow me to permit it."

"I'm listening."

"I have a team on standby that can come here and finish up your packing for you. And trust me when I say that they will be of the highest discretion. It won't take long I'm sure and when you arrive home, it'll be as if they were never here. Do we have an accord?"

I shook his hand. "I think we can agree on that. But I'm only taking the essentials. Books, movies, video games, clothes."

He nodded as he reached into his jacket pocket and pulled his phone. "Very good. I'm sending my team your address as we speak. They should be here shortly. Also, would you be so kind as to leave your key with the gentleman downstairs? Don't worry I've spoken to him about it. Now, can I offer you a ride to work?"

"That won't be necessary, Carson. I can manage."

"Very good, Sir. At least let me walk you out."

Grabbing my keys off the counter, I slipped my phone into the front pocket of my slacks and allowed Carson to go ahead of me as we walked out the door together. I locked the deadbolt into place and walked down the small flight stairs while simultaneously removing my apartment key from the keyring and clipped the rest onto my belt loop. When we made it to the lobby, I saw the landlord at his desk, reading the morning paper and eating a glazed doughnut. I placed the key down in front of him as he glanced at it.

"I hear that you're moving," he said. "When were you planning on telling me?"

"I didn't know that I was moving until yesterday. At any rate, here is the key to my apartment. I assume Mr. Carson has told you about the people that are coming here to help me pack my things up."

"He has. I'll also need you to sign some forms this evening."

"And my security deposit?"

"You'll get it back, don't worry. Anything else?"

"No. Have a good day."

There was no more rain by the time I stepped outside and pulled the hoodie over my head. So I said farewell to Carson and went on my way toward the nearest Starbucks which was about a block and a half from where I lived. Puddles lined the sidewalk as I avoided them as best I could and started making plans about what I wanted to do for lunch. Yes, it was still early to be even thinking about food. But I still had forty-eight hours left until I was to be on a plane heading for a new horizon.