He peered at me. "I don't want to leave."

Closing my eyes, I sighed. "Buck, we're going to be okay. I promise. Just stay with me and...keep an eye out for any bad guys on the loose." I had to bite my lip to keep from smiling. 

He didn't miss it. "You're hilarious," he drawled, his eyes drifting down to my mouth, where my teeth were still holding onto my bottom lip. Did his pupils just blow wide, or am I imagining things? 

"Come on, let's go," I remarked, clearing my head by shaking it a few times. He followed close behind, refusing to leave my side as we walked the thirty feet from the front door to my car. 

Throughout the whole shopping trip, I rarely had a second where Bucky wasn't so close behind me that I could sense his presence there. Oh yeah, he also couldn't keep himself from looking around worriedly, no doubt wondering how long it would take for people to recognize him. He had covered his arm with a leather jacket, but it was obvious that he was still uncomfortable being out in public like this. 

I got everything I needed and was going to the self-checkout when a certain song began to bounce through the crappy speakers at Walmart. "No way," I practically moaned at hearing the beginning of the hit song from the 1960's. "Oh my god, I love this song!"

When I turned around to look at him, though, he was staring back at me in confusion. "Don't we have somewhere to be?" He hissed. "We've already been here an hour and a half."

Sighing, I nodded. "Fine, we'll get going. But we're playing that song when we get home."

[press play]

True to my word, I immediately found the song I was looking for and began turning up the volume until I thought it would blast my eardrums to hell. Swaying my hips, I hummed as Solomon Burke began singing "Cry to Me." I knew Bucky didn't know what song this was, but I still ushered him to dance with me. When he shook his head and just sat back and stared, I felt a blush rise to my cheeks.

"I have to say, Buck...I'm really disappointed that you didn't get to hear any of the best music while you were..."

Bucky cocked an eyebrow, stuffing his hand in his pocket.

I waved a dismissive hand. "You know...doing your thing." I really wasn't in the mood to handle that conversation. Maybe some other day I'd be able to get him to spill.

The music oozed into the charged air between us, and I felt a grin begin to curl my lips upward. My fingers tapped out the beat on my hip and I closed my eyes, swaying and gliding around the room with the same lazy grin on my face. 

For a moment, I forgot that Bucky was standing there, too. But when I opened my eyes and saw him smirking at my dancing, I let out a breathless chuckle and beckoned him closer. "Don't just stand there, come dance," I said smoothly, reaching out for his hand. 

He shook his head. "I think I'll just..." his eyes slipped from my eyes down to my lips, and I reached up to trace my bottom lip, heat flushing my cheeks again.

Shaking my head, I began to loudly belt out the song, doing my best to serenade the handsome man in front of me. God, what have you done to me? I thought, the fleeting words in and out of my mind within a beat of a moment.

Little did I know, Buck was thinking the same thing. 

————————————————————

hellooooooo. i'm back. it's been nearly two months. again. this is getting to be a serious problem. i published this chapter. it's been in my head for months. here it is. hope it fulfilled your wildest dreams, yada yada yada. anyway, i found this banner i made awhile ago on my computer and decided to put it here. just cause. 

also, i have a plan to finish this story up by the end of january 2019 and hopefully start posting the sequel by april 2019. the reason you'll be waiting a little bit is because i'll finish my dramione fic, guilty, and post a story that you need to read in order to understand the sequel to this book. don't worry, elda will come back to you soon enough!

published on: dec. 16, 2018

 16, 2018