Maybe Knowledge Can Beat Brawn

Start from the beginning

"Goooo," she moaned, and you mentally scorned yourself for allowing your first friend to be a Candor. Then you scorned yourself again for your negativity. What could you say, selflessness and kindness were traits that were engrained into your very being.

"Fine," you huffed, standing up in a hurry; almost toppling over. Lacy stifled a laugh, and ushered you over to him. You rolled your eyes at her childishness, and walked over to the empty table.

"Hey," you said, sitting down next to the stranger. He looked up at you through his hair, his eyes thinned from suspicion.

He must have concluded you were okay however, as he returned his gaze to his book. You pouted slightly.

"So, first jumper eh?" You said, making conversation. His eyes were still on his book, stubbornly so.

"Must take guts," you said, urging him to talk as you felt your friend's eyes pierce through you from the other side of the hall.

"I guess so," he said, quietly, and much softer than you remembered. But his eyes were still fixed on his book.

You huffed. "What is it going to take to get you to talk to me?"

You crossed your arms over your chest, raising your eyebrow, waiting for an answer.

The boy looked up at you, and closed his book. He brushed his bangs out of his face, an odd streak of blue running through it - perhaps a reminiscence to his youth as Erudite. His eyes were similarly cobalt, bright and stark against the blackness of the walls, and the blackness of his hair. His face was a pale tan, not bright and warm, but cool like an autumn day - a personified breeze. Upon said breeze was a sprinkling of frost, individual flakes across his nose. His jawline was sharp and angular, but with his softer features he looked more studious than scary. His cheekbones were high, but not striking. Overall, he was certainly attractive, visually appealing to anyone who looked. This was shielded however, by his insistence to always have his nose in a book.

The boy spoke, "What do you want to talk about?" He asked, breathing slowly. His voice was paced, not sporadic, and it held an air of a typhoon, like the calm before the storm. Like he could snap, or anger easily.

"I just wanted to thank you for jumping earlier," you said, letting yourself be rid of any sarcasm.

He raised his eyebrows.

"You had to jump anyway, I helped nothing," he scoffed.

"Let a girl think what she wants, dungbrain," you sighed, hoping he would take it as a joke, like you intended.

"Dungbrain, nice," he complimented. It was false, of course, but for some reason it still made your heart flutter.

You sat in silence for a moment, mulling over an idea in your head. You had said that you regretted having a Candor as your only friend.

So why not an Erudite?

"Hey, freckles? Wanna tell me your name? You asked, loud and clear so that he could hear you through his mop of hair.

"Varian," he replied, looking at you with a look of interest.

"I'm (Y/N), nice to meet you," you said, a little fast, but you doubted he noticed.

You stuck your hand out, abruptly, almost hitting him in the chest. He crossed his eyes at your fingertips, but soon after grasped your hand firmly.

"You too," he smiled.

You bit your lip.

"Hey, Varian, do you want to go somewhere?"

-

-

-

-

-

-

"Tattoo and Piercing Parlour," Varian read, eyes squinted as he craned his neck. He looked back at you, disapproval on his face.

"Really?" He asked, condescendingly.

You elbowed him.

"Yes really," you assured, "I was never allowed piercings or tattoo's in Abnegation, and you are certainly too stuck up to get one on your own."

Varian pursed his lips, clearly unsure of what was to come. And, considering he didnt know you to well, it was completely understandable.

"Come ooonnnnn," you complained, drawing out the sounds like a child begging for a treat, "You're in Dauntless now! Take some risks!"

Varian looked at you quizzically, clearly running through the options.

"No tattoos," he ordered, and you shook his hand.

"No tattoos," you agreed, entering the shop.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
"Woah, look at this one!" You gazed in awe at a design printed on the wall.

"I can't (Y/N)," Varian said, and you turned to him.

"Oops, I forgot you were getting your ears pierced," you giggled, skipping over to him.

"That's a very Abnegation-y walk," Varian teased, and you punched him lightly in the arm.

"Sure is, Erudite," You retorted, pulling up a stool to sit next to him.

You pulled a strand of hair away from his ear to spy two marks in the upper helix. Boy, you bet that would hurt.

"Double helix. Brave," you marvelled, "though I would expect nothing less from our First Jumper."

Varian stuck his tongue out at you, but quickly regained himself as the piercing artist came back over.

She wore a sleeveless black top with a wolf on it, designed in a pattern of splattered paint. She was toned, due to the rigid training program Dauntless insisted on, and sported long, curly black hair that fell over her shoulders. Not in ringlets - no, ringlets would be too fancy. These were untamed, beastly curls, the type of curls that one would fight with a hairbrush for hours in the morn. Matched with a septum piercing, and shocking green eyes, she looked almost like a snake. Though, her eyes were kind, which you appreciated.

Not many kind eyes around anymore.

"Hey man, you ready?" She asked, grabbing a piercing gun from the stand beside her.

You looked at Varian in a glance, and saw the rise of the same childlike fear he had sported on the rooftop.

"Hey," you comforted, placing your arm on his, "You jumped off a roof. This is nothing."

Varian looked uncertain.

"Yeah, yeah, this is nothing. I'm fine, fine, totally - ARGH!"

Tears flew from the corners of his eyes, and he grabbed your hand. The snake-lady moved away, with her hands out wide.

"Tara!" She marvelled, grabbing a mirror from the side of her.

Varian took it, his face red from pain, and stared at the side of his ear.

"Huh," he said simply, before passing out.
You and the snake-lady looked at each other.

"Good luck with your boyfriend," she snickered, walking off, rather irresponsibly you may add.

You opened your mouth to object, before looking back at Varian, whose hand was rested loosely on yours.

Growing up Abnegation made you inherently want to help others, whether it be at your expense or not. Now you were Dauntless, you should learn to be selfish every once in a while.

So no, miss snake-lady, Varian wasn't your boyfriend.

But he sure as hell could be.