Chapter 1

John walked through the deserted corridor. Tap... tap... tap... The hazy yellow lit hall displays the beauty of nature across the plain white walls. 'The sunset is beautiful,' He thought. He almost forgot the whole reason he was slinking down the school in the first place.

He found a note in his locker. Whilst the letter was written in cursive, he couldn't make out who's writing it was. It read, "Dear John, please come to room S304. Thank you." The content was bland, and he thought it would've come from a teacher, rather than a student. He stands heavily in front of the door, suddenly getting a case of vertigo. He looks up and sees a sign that says: Reading Club. He takes a deep breath and pulls the door handle down.

"Welcome!" an enthusiastic voice said. The voice was silky smooth, and it was the sort of voice that makes the world swoon. He opens the door more to reveal the sunlight behind a girl's silhouette, and a second one hunched and sitting down in an empty desk. John puts up his hand to shield his face from the brainwashing light that blinded him. "Come, take a seat!" the figure said. He sat down, away from the radiant heat.

He can see the person much more clearly now. She had dark, flowing hair and emerald green eyes. Her eyes didn't match her mood. "So, uh, this is the reading club, and I would love for you to join!" He takes a break from looking at the deep and hallucinating eyes and looks to the direction of the second figure. It was another girl, reading a book. She seems distant and melancholy...

He snaps back into reality, shifting his gaze back onto the standing figure in front of him. "Well, sure I'd love to join." He said. "The thing is, is that all you wanted me for? I mean I'm not complaining or anything..." She puts on a blank expression, as if she just got out of bed. "Um... I didn't offend you or anything, right?" Her blank expression disappears, as if her conscious came back from exploring the universe.

"Ah yes, that's all I really wanted you for. You don't have to do anything here, you just have to read." She said with her enthusiastic tone. 'Well, that's interesting...' John thought. "Also, with the note, could you teach me how to write cursive like that?" She stares at John with a questioning look on her face. "What note? I don't remember giving you a note..." She puts her hand on her chin in a tick shape, and posed herself on an angle, with her other arm on her hips.

"Nope, I didn't give you a note." She puts on a smile that could make the whole world go around. John opens his mouth, but before he could say anything, she said, "Well, I think it's time for you to go home now, hope to catch you later!" Before he knew it, he was out the classroom.

Alyson. One of the most beautiful, smart, talented girls in the whole of 8th grade. Maybe even the school. She can do anything she wants and has gotten several offers to go to prestigious universities. She can make it into state level for sports, and she's super rich too, so she can go wherever she wants, whenever she wants. Except...

'She's a little strange..." John thought. Last week, she decided that it would be a good idea to stand up, in class, in front of 60 people, in the middle of a lecture, and just leave, without saying anything. She also has an obsessive desire to help anyone in need. If she finds out even the most irrelevant of problems, she'll go to extreme lengths to help that person.

Before he even realises, he's standing at his bus stop, that's located near a fast food restaurant that he frequently visits and abuses his wallet. The bus stop was located half in the concrete walkway, and half in the grass next to it. He thought that this was a stupid idea, since it blocked half of the walkway, and it made for some awkward situations when people tried to pass each other. The bus stop timetable was in the way of the sun, so at some parts you can read and some parts you can't. So essentially the 'bus stop' reads 'bu-op'. After some time sidestepping around the timetable, he figured when his bus would come, in about 30 minutes. He took the opportunity to grab a bite of food from the neighbouring fast food restaurant.

He orders a medium chicken burger with extra chips. He takes the food and sits down at an empty table. He looks out across the window into the open environment, busy with cars at peak hour, while sipping his soda drink. He starts to think about the whole situation that just happened. 'The thing is, they expected me to come, and judging from the reaction Alyson gave me. But when I asked about the envelope, there was no explanation to it. She didn't even know about it! But then again, she could be lying about the whole thing and really wanted me to come. But there's no reason for me to come, let alone someone like me. I don't think she chose me for a reason, she only chose me just because, but that doesn't explain anything. And what was with the spacing out? And who was that second person? Argh, so many questions!'

Before he could figure out any answers, a voice spoke to him. "Well, if you have questions, why don't you ask that person over there?" He jolted up, to see where the voice came from, but he could find no one. He looked over to the bus stop, and saw Alyson, just the person he needed. He got up from his seat and dashed over to her.

He ran across to the concrete pathway, and suddenly... BAM! Before he blacked out, he saw two things, the first was the drunken car driver speeding away, and the next was a faint image of Alyson with a smile on her face...