13

Today was the day that I dreaded the most

Today was the day that I dreaded the most. Dally's funeral.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I said.

"It's time to go," Ponyboy said softly.

I nodded, taking a deep breath, "I'll be right there."

I stood in the mirror, smoothing out my dress. I wore my usual makeup and had my hair as I always did, but something was missing. I looked behind me and saw Dally's jacket draped over the chair. I grabbed it and put it on, savoring his scent. This was all I had left of him.

I walked out of the bedroom and into the living room where everyone else was gathered. They grew quiet, turning to look at me.

"I'm ready," I said.

We piled in the car and made our way to the cemetery. Since money was tight, we didn't have enough to pay for a proper funeral for Dally. Luckily, we were able to scrape together enough for a gravestone.

When we arrived, Johnny pulled a bouquet of red roses from the trunk and handed one to each of us. It was silent aside from the birds chirping and the light breeze blowing through the trees.

"Grace do you want to start us off?" Darry asked.

"Sure," I said.

"Gosh, there's so much to say. I remember the first time I ever laid eyes on Dally. I was a scared girl who had just escaped from an abusive relationship, so I was afraid to admit that it was love at first sight. Dally helped me in so many ways. I could finally be myself again. I grew to be the strong, confident and fierce young woman who I was so many years ago. The people who didn't know Dally probably only saw him as a criminal, but he was so much more than that. He was a loving and protective boyfriend, and an incredibly loyal friend. I'm sure that one day, over the rainbow, we'll be reunited again," I said wiping the falling tears away.

"That was beautiful Grace," Shelby said.

"I guess I'll say something," Johnny started, "Dally was the best friend I ever could've asked for. He saved me so many times, from my folks at home and the time I got jumped by those Socs. So this is a thank you Dally. For everything."

"Amen Johnny," Two-Bit said.

"To Dally," Ponyboy said holding his rose up.

"To Dally," The rest of us repeated.

One by one we went up and placed a flower down on his grave. I kneeled down, gently setting the rose down.

The others began to walk back to the car.

"You coming Grace?" Soda asked.

"Yeah. I'll be there in a minute. I just need a moment alone," I said.

"Anything you need. We'll be waiting in the car,"

I traced my finger over the etching on the marble stone.

Dallas Winston
1949-1968

"Until we meet again," I said softly, kissing my fingers and placing them over his name.