Chapter Twenty-One

A distant voice murmured in Sadie's ear. She cracked her eyes open and shut them immediately after she was met with a bright light. The voice continued to grow louder.

"Sadie, honey, wake up." This time, Sadie recognized it as her mother's voice.

"M-mom?" She asked, and coughed. Her throat was dry.

"Oh sweetie, I'm so glad you're awake," She said softly. Sadie blinked and looked into the worried eyes of her mother. Her eyes widened and they filled with tears.

"Oh, mom," She cried, sitting up and throwing her arms around her mother. "Mom, I missed you so much," She croaked, ignoring her pounding headache.

Her mother laughed, and she distantly heard the chuckle of her father. Her eyes widened.

"Dad! You're okay!" She cried, trying to get out of bed. Mrs. Abrams held her in place gently.

"Sadie, you need to stay in bed. And of course your father's okay, what did you think happened?" She asked.

Sadie frowned and looked around the room. Upon inspection, she found that she was in her bedroom. The bright light was simply the sun streaming through her window. Her mother sighed. "Last night was a long night." She said, nodding at her daughter.

Sadie frowned. "Last night?" She asked. Her mom nodded. Sadie looked around her bedroom again, at her mother who sat on her bed, and her father who sat in her desk chair. "W-what...what happened?" She asked.

"You were walking home from school yesterday and tripped and fell. You twisted your leg pretty badly, and hit your head. We were in the hospital for a while, and then home. We had to keep an eye on you last night to make sure you were still conscious. You scared us, honey." She explained. Sadie's heart dropped and her head spun.

"What? No, I was...mom, I was gone for a week!" She cried. Mrs. Abrams frowned and glanced at her husband.

"Honey...no, you left for school yesterday morning, and on your way home, you got hurt. You were home last night." She said softly, slowly. Sadie opened her mouth but nothing came out except a slightly strangled noise. Mrs. Abrams put her arm around Sadie. "Sadie, it's okay, the doctor said you might be a little out of it." She said.

Sadie shook her head. "What's the date today?" She asked. Her mother gave her a look before glancing at her phone.

"The 15th." She said. Sadie gulped. The day after she and Noah had worked on their project in detention. Suddenly, Sadie gasped.

"Wait, where's Noah? Is he okay?!" She cried. Mrs. Abrams looked confused.

"How do you know about Noah?" She asked.

Sadie's breath caught. "What happened to him?" She whispered.

"Well, it was quite strange, you were both found passed out around the same time, on opposite sides of the school. Apparently, he got hit pretty hard during soccer practice the other day and got a concussion without knowing it. Tried to walk home, the poor thing. Passed right out." She explained.

"But he's okay?" Sadie pushed, still on edge.

"I'd assume so. I ran into his mother at the hospital and she said he was doing fine, and would probably be able to go home for the night." Her mother explained. Sadie let out the breath she had been holding and leaned back against the headboard. "I didn't know you and Noah were so close," Mrs. Abrams commented.

Sadie shrugged. "Um, we've been working on a project together." She said quickly. "So, uh, can I go see him? We need to...talk about the project more." She asked eagerly.