14

THE SURVIVORS MADE IT TO THE SAFE HAVEN. Teresa did not make it as she dropped many feet down as the building crashed. Thomas got saved by the others who looked at him sadly as they saw how both girls were missing. All of them were quiet as they appreciated the dead, the people who helped them.

After they arrived at safe haven, Aris, Harriet, Clara and Sonya immediately questioned Thomas about Thea's whereabouts. He was sad to inform them that she did not make it. Tears were spilled as he told them what had happened, they were at least happy that she was reunited with Newt again.

The four friends felt empty upon the realisation that not all of them made it out alive. They had been so happy when they reunited some time ago in the scorch and now they were broken apart again. They cried on each others shoulders but also found time to laugh.

A stone was set on the island which they called their haven to honour the dead. The friends engraved the name of their lost with much love. 'Thea' was engraved besides 'Newt' and near the name 'Teresa'. At least they were honoured now.

All of the survivors lived on with the memories of their friends never forgotten. They all had gotten happier as time passed but they never forgot the dead. Sometimes they would tell each other stories of what they did and what had happened and laugh about it. They would never forget the ones they loved.

Thomas had still the necklace he had received from Newt. In it was a letter which he decided to open up.

Dear Thomas,

This is the first letter I can remember writing. Obviously, I don't know if I wrote any before the Maze. But, even if it's not my first, it's likely to be my last. I want you to know that I'm not scared. Well, not of dying, anyway. It's more forgetting. It's losing myself to this virus, that's what scares me. So every night I've been saying their names out loud. Alby, Winston, Chuck. And I repeat them over and over like a prayer and it all comes flooding back. Just the little things like when the sun used to hit the Glade at that perfect moment right before it slipped beneath the walls.

And I remember the taste of Frypan's stew. I never thought I'd miss that stuff so much. And I remember you. I remember the first time you came up in the Box, just a scared little Greenie who couldn't even remember his own name. From that moment you ran into the Maze, I knew I would follow you anywhere. And I have. We all have. If I could do it all over again, I would. And I wouldn't change a thing. My hope for you is when you're looking back, years from now, you'll be able to say the same.

The future is in your hands now, Tommy. And I know you'll find a way to do what's right. You always have. Take care of everyone for me. Take care of Thea for me, if she made it. As I know her she will be sad. I know that she is reckless sometimes but if she didn't make it, then she is with me. The truth is, I remember everything. It started when I got infected, I got memories of us and how we were happy. Maybe she remember too. Don't forget to care of yourself. You deserve to be happy. Thank you for being my friend. Goodbye, mate.

Newt.

Thomas had tears in his eyes as he finished the letter. He knew Newt was happy now, he had Thea with him again. He still remember how sad the girl had been after he had died, how she had sobbed endlessly.

"You alright?" quizzed a voice from beside him. There stood a girl with auburn hair and brown eyes. He recognized her as one of Thea's best friends named Clara.

"I think so." he responded with a shaky voice. Tears were about to spill out of his eyes after he had read the letter dedicated to him.

"It's okay to be sad, you know. I'm Clara and you are Thomas, right?"

Clara smiled at him and held her hand out for him to shake. He grabbed her hand and shook it lightly, "Yes, I'm Thomas. Clara... was it?" He was uncertain but still questioned her about her name. She nodded with a smile still on her face.

The love of two people who were dead now brought two others together. Clara and Thomas were both broken souls as both lost people who were the closest to them. It felt like their hearts were ripped out. Luckily they found repair in one another.

About a year after all of the events the two of them started dating. Everybody was happy for them as they were smiling again. Thomas had a very hard time to smile again as he felt guilty for the death of Newt and Thea. Everybody told him it wasn't his fault but he felt like it was.

Everyday Clara and Thomas would sit in front of the stone and speak the names of their lost friends, they spoke them like a prayer. They made sure that they would never forget them.

The story of Newt and Thea may not have started well and not have ended well but both of them were together at last. They had been happy during the time they had lived and now they were happy to and together again. In the end, they got through WICKED, the scorch and flares. They got through it together.

-----

I want to thank TheFangirlGlader , Divinemoon , WriteAwayGirl01 , SomeGirlWithDreams , braveprincessx , -sweetnewt for reading this book as the first people. Thank you so much for your amazing comments and for reading my book as a fewer of the first people ever, it honestly means so much to me. Your comments never fail to make me laugh or smile...thank you!!