Chapter: 7~ Running through the maise

They didn't stop running until they'd made it halfway through the third field and the shelter was completely out of sight. Thomas was the first to come to halt, as he sucked in deep breaths and clutched his nose. Newt started to search the boy's blood-covered face but soon gave up and pulled him into a warm hug instead.
"Are you okay?" He asked, slightly muffled with his head buried in the crock of Thomas' neck.

"Yeah. Just a bit saw, " Thomas answered as he gently pulled away from Newt.

That's when Minho came over and shook his head at the brunette. His face showed sympathy but his eyes said 'idiot' as he spoke, "what were you thinking?" He paused as Thomas was about to answer but cut him off and continued in a lighter tone, "You know what, it doesn't matter. Let's just keep going."

Minho moved to the front of the group again and carried on walking, as Gally jogged to catch up. Frypan smiled kindly at Thomas but he too moved on forwards. There was a quiet lull over the group but with each step away from the barn, their mood improved slightly.

"Why did you let him do it?" Newt whispered as he walked next to Thomas, who was trying to wipe away the blood from around his mouth but to no avail.

He gave up trying to clean his face and said, "I had no choice. They would've only done something worse if I hadn't let them beat on me. Also, it is kind of in their rights. We were trespassing."

"He would have killed you. Don't tell me you would've been fine with that." Newt said slightly louder.

"Of course I wouldn't but at the same time, he was allowed to. I'd rather he killed me and left you alone, than him hurting all of us." Thomas answered as the wind picked up even more, causing the boys in front to talk louder.

Hurt flashed across Newt's face, "but I would rather you lived. Shuck the law. He didn't have any right to try and bury a bloody tool into your head."

"He sort of did."

"No, he bloody didn't. There is a big difference between shooting someone on your land and impaling a chisel into someone's skull. I thought you knew this!" Newt exclaimed.

Now it was Thomas' turn to look hurt. Newt instantly regretted what he'd said as he looked at the brunette.
"Sorry, " he whispered, "I was just worried. And I get defensive when I'm worried."

"I'm sorry, too, " Thomas said over the noise of the wind, as he pulled Newt into a side hug, "Why don't we join the others now. They sound like they're having fun."

"Okay."

Thomas and Newt trudged over to the three boys who were now laughing and eating candy again. When Minho saw the two boys, he wolf whistled and smiled at their discomfort. He handed them a packet of Starburst and said, "According to Google Maps, the building is about six fields ahead of us."

"How long will that take?" Newt asked as he opened the bag of candies and picked out a strawberry one.

"I don't know. It took us like forty-five minutes to get through seven fields, so probably another thirty if we're quick and don't get distracted again." Minho said.

Thomas reached out and motioned for the pack of Starburst as Newt replied to Minho. He buried his hand in the packet and pulled out a handful of different colours, then handed the rest back to Minho. Giggling quietly, Thomas whispered, "sugar, " before undoing the separate wrappers of several candies and shoving all of them in his mouth at once. Newt and Minho stared at him in a mix of concern and confusion. However, Thomas just shrugged and continued eating as the other two boys carried on talking.

The group was only a few meters away from the next field when they saw what was in it. It was full of corn plants at least six foot tall if not more, that swayed with the wind. Bright yellow corn cobs stood out against the rich green of the stalks and leaves. They looked almost ready to pick but they weren't what got Minho over excited.