"Thorins' Hope", Ch. 8: Thorin and Kili Travel Home

“Thorin’s Hope”, Ch. 8:  Thorin and Kili Travel Home Apace of the Others

So Kili wolfs down some food. Then he and Talin saddle two horses and begin their journey back to the Dwarf base camp at the foot of the Lonely Mountain. After traveling for two hours, they reach the Dwarf base camp by nightfall.

As Kili and Talin enter the camp, they find the men sitting around the fire eating their food and singing. The band of Dwarf men and one Hobbit are glad to be almost home. Then the Dwarfs see not just Kili, but Talin also. And Dwalin leaps up to greet his son.

Dwalin: “Talin, my son! You look well. How is your mother?”  Dwalin [Image right of Graham McTavish is courtesy of www.RichardArmitageNet.com] asks embracing his son.

Talin: “She is well father.” He smiles.

Dwalin: “And?” He asks expectantly.

Talin: “I have a sister named Maylina, now. Mama named her after Lady Umay (pronounced ooh-MY).” He smiles broadly and Thorin beams at the compliment to his Lady wife.

Dwalin: “I have a daughter!” He cries as the men shout their rejoicing.

Kili: “She is a pretty little thing--as babes go.” He says like the teen he is--despite his 50 years.

Thorin: “And Kili, what of Umay? Has she had our babe?” He daren’t ask if Umay is alright as he looks at Kili worriedly.

Kili: Smiling broadly, he says “Yes, My Lord Uncle, My Lady Aunt Umay has given birth.” Then Kili and Talin exchange impish grins.

Thorin: “What are you not telling me?” He asks quizzically.

Talin: “She is well, My Lord. Come and see on the morrow when you return home.” He says cryptically with a small smile.

Thorin: But the morrow is too long a time away for Thorin. “I will ride home this night and greet my family in the early morning. Kili, will you come with me?” He asks, since Thorin as Lord always has an escort with him.

Kili: “It will be an honor My Lord Uncle. We can take the horses that Talin and I rode here back to the village--we did not ride them hard and they should be ready after a brief few hours of rest and food.” Kili says, hinting that he would like some food, too.

So, the horses and men are fed. Then Thorin and his nephew Kili set off under cover of moonlight to Thorin’s home--to Umay and his babe. Since it is so dark, they have to be careful since the ground is uneven. So, it will take them a little longer to reach the village than it took Kili to return to the camp from the village earlier that evening.

Thorin: As they and their horses make their way toward the village in late evening, Thorin waxes contemplative. “It is a beautiful night to return home, my nephew.”

Kili: “Aye, it is that My Lord Uncle. Are you glad to be home so soon?” He asks, missing the adventures of their quest already.

Thorin: “Home. There is never so beautiful sounding a word as home. And Kili, when you are happily wedded you, too, will know the contentment and joy that family life brings.” Thorin smiles knowingly, his face illuminated by the moonlight on this clear and starry night.

Kili: “Aye. I wish that I might soon enter into a first marriage.” Of course, Kili is referring to the ‘trial’ marriages that young adult Dwarf’s enter into to practice being married--with some marriages continuing. “You all seem to recommend marriage. So, it must be worth having.” Kili smiles sheepishly.

Thorin: “Kili, my boy!” Thorin smiles broadly. “Is there a lady fair whom you would seek to be your bride?” Thorin raises his eye brows mischievously.